New to the Ruptured Achilles Club

Posted , 7 users are following.

Am new to the site following my rupture on Monday night last week (9th March).  I am 65 and have been active all my life until this happened.  Went to A&E straight away and got it diagnosed and after initially having it in a cast am now in the "moon boot".  I know that it will be some time but the research I have carried out so far is not very forthcoming in terms of the time scale of recovery and what I can do, if anything, while I have the boot on.  I need to get back to work ASAP but appreciate that age is not on my side.  Any advice out there?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Chris

I was full rupture 14 weeks ago , had cast for 10 days then 8 weeks in moon boot , I'm 47 maybe not the fittest which I contribute to my injury, I was partial weight bearing at home after a week or two and also used a knee scooter to use when foot was achy an to aid mobility out of the house , so much better than crutches, I was off work for 12 weeks as knew I wouldn't rest enough if I was working , also wanted to make sure it healed properly , I am walking unaided with a limp and can't overdo or it gets painful , good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hi there KMG,

Thanks for your input.  Yes am only 10 days into mine and already know that I am looking at a long-term recovery.  Whether it will be a full one I suppose is in the lap of the gods.  Have kept myself fit all my life both in the sport I've played (and was doing when I had the rupture!) and the jobs I have done (fire service and currently funeral service).  My current job is not one to rush back to as it is ALL physical so I think realistically I will probably be looking at about 6 months or so.

Anyway thanks for your input and I hope your situation improves soon. Its no fun is it

Cheers, Chris

• Posted

Well am now 15 days into the achilles journey. Swelling is starting to go down but obviously still on my full quota of wedges in the boot yet.  Take the first one out next week.  After info from this forum have got myself a full leg plastic cover for the boot so I can have a shower without taking the boot off (thanks Tim) and yesterday I have managed to source physio and rehab via my former job when we get to that stage.  Anyway hope your are all improving and good luck 
  • Posted

Hi all,

Just an update.  Coming up to 6 weeks post rupture. Have had 2 wedges out of the boot (3 to go).  Swelling has gone down a lot and am not using crutches to help get around.  To top all this off have got physio starting on Tuesday so am hopeful for a shorter journey than a lot of you.  Just had my first 'sick' pay cheque and definitely need to get to work sooner rather than later.  Statutory Sick Pay sucks!!!

• Posted

I hope so... but its taking longer that I ever thought. I was back to work after 6 weeks, sedentary job and left foot, automatic car. The return to full fitness though is taking forever it seems.. tendon is ok but the calf muscle takes AGES to get back stength.. 7 months in and i still cant toe stand...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.