New to the SVT world

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

So, I have been having sporadic palpitations/flutter in chest for about 3 years now. In the beginning it would occur once in a blue moon like I would feel a hard flutter and nothing else. When they started happening I went to a cardiologist who did a stress test, holter monitor, and echo cardiogram, which found nothing. As the years went on, they seemed to get worse and about a year an half ago, my heart started racing after these palpitations/flutters. The racing never lasted long and never went above 130. After my heart rate came down, I'd usually have to deal with my heart pounding and feeling irregular for a few hours, then it would go back to normal. I was referred to an EP cardiologist, who suggested an implanted loop recorder, since the holter monitors were not picking up anything do to the sporadic nature of my episodes. Long story short, after a year and a half at this particular hospital, no one could tell me exactly what was going on, even though I had recorded episodes. My episodes seemed to increase in frequency the more I exercised strenuously. I finally had enough after a particular bout of episodes and decided to get a second opinion from another EP doctor. I brought my recent recordings with me to the appointment and he took one look at them and told me I have SVT-AVNRT. I was relieved to finally have an answer but he told me that he suggested an EP study with ablation for treatment as opposed to taking drugs. I was a little apprehensive about going straight to ablation due to my fears (I've never had any type of invasive surgery before), but with my current job in law enforcement, dealing with the side effects of drugs may not be good. I decided to think about it while he agreed to do another stress test and echo cardiogram to rule any thing else out. I haven't been exercising since the last big episode a few months ago but now the episodes have recently started even though I am not exercising. Yesterday I was have a series of palpitations/flutters throughout the day and woke up at 2am to my heart racing at 165. It only lasted about 5 minutes and went below 100. I didn't go to work today because I was afraid of another episode but have still been dealing with the palpitations/flutters on and off today. So far, it hasn't tripped into a racing heart rate.

So, after that long explanation (sorry), I am wondering if ablation is the way to go. Looking for anyones feed back as to ablation vs. drugs. I am a 44 year old female in good health. My family (mother's side) has a history of heart issues, including afib and SVT's but none of them have ever had ablations. Interested in hearing from people who have had ablations and what they went through. Also, anyone ever get SVT's from exercising or is it just me? lol.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm pleased that you're getting a diverse array of responses, Jamie. After 50 years of SVT, getting progressively more frequent and longer-lasing, I tried ablation. My first failed, with my SVT noticeably worse. My second, 18 or so months ago, was very successful, and my quality of life is much, much better. I still have lots funky "extra" beats, but they are usually much less concerning since I know that they won't lead to SVT.

I'm not necessarily advising you to have the ablation. If you have confidence in your health-care people, I would follow their advice. Sounds as if your probability of a "cure" is quite high, and leaving this miserable stuff behind would be quite the good deal for you. We all wish you well, and take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.