New to this!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 49 yr old male, I have had alot of the symptoms for Achalasia I am finding out but keep getting told by my GI Dr that it was acid reflux. The chest pains (cramp like at the bottom of the sternum) were horrible and casuing me to miss work. Not sure if anyone else has the constant air bubbles coming up after I eat or drink, like small burps. Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up because they bring up fluid and I wake up chocking almost like I am drowing. 

Dr did a endoscopy and did not see anything to abnormal. I did a Esophegeal manometry test yesterday and the tech showed me on the screen where everything was backing up at the entrance to the stomach and it was not normal. I have a Barium swallowed scheduled in a couple weeks, do I need to do this after the test I just took?  I hope to hear on a final diagnosis soon. 

I will continue to read about diets and lifestyle changes that can help so if any one has any links or suggestions please let me know smile 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you not discussed the test results with your doctor.  Do the barium swallow.  I think alot ot times things get missed during a regular endoscopy because they are inside the esophagus where as a barium shows them if there are hang ups if the peristalis is missing. Nothing was ever found during endoscopies but I had a very narrow esophagus and the peristalis is missing but these weren't found until barrium swallow.  It won't hurt and it's and easier test. 

• Posted

sorry missed the follow ups.  ignore my response.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Achalasia 3 years ago and didn't want to have the surgery due to issues I've had with anesthesia and sleep apnea. However, if I had known my esophagus could get stretched which would reduce effectiveness of treatment I would have done it sooner.  Now I've had the surgery, but was told I'll have issues with food pooling in my esophagus.   Also, this is one of the best posts I've found about what to and not to eat and other advice.  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tips-for-coping-with-achalasia-27709

• Posted

Type 2 A was the final conclusion from my Dr. Text book cvase he said and refered me to University of Washington to Dr Pellegrini for surgery. After research I decided on the POEM. I am luckier than most it only took 4 month from my first appointment to a diagnosis and scheduling surgery. I feel for the people who have been fighting this for years before it was recognized. Thanks all for the help! 
    • Posted

Dr Pellegrini has a good international reputation so you were referred to the right place!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.