New To This

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

I've recently been diagnosed with epilepsy.

I had my first seizure on Easter monday (unluckily for me in the middle of Tesco). I then had my second seizure last sunday. I was admitted to hospital and had an EEG which was normal. However on the MRI there was a abnormal brain nodule found.

I have been put on Keppra 250mg twice daily.

In the past 72 hours i have been having seizures on an 8 - 10 hourly basis. I experience an aura for about 45 minutes before each seizure. I then have an initial seizure of about two minutes followed by 30 seconds of unconciousness. I instantly have another seizure which is stopped when my husband administers Buccolam 10mg orally. It usually takes twenty minutes after each seizure episode before I am feeling back to normal. i have no memory of these seizure episodes and feel very confused for quite a while afterwards.

My Doctor told my husband to administer the Buccolam after two minutes of me having a seizure although the chemist said to administer it straight away after the seizure starts. Does anyone know the best time to give Buccolam?

Both me and my family are freaked out at the moment as these seizure episodes have started so suddenly and are quire violent and frightening for my family to observe and deal with. I feel as if I've climbed a mountain as every muscle in my body aches and my tongue is so sore as I've bitten it so many times.

Any help or advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

Nic

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The chemist is correct - in my opinion it needs administering immediately the seizure begins.

If these seizures do not ease-up I would be tempted to ask your doctor for a referral to a neurologist if you have not already done so.

• Posted

Nicloa

I’m sorry to hear about your recent sudden experiences. I’ve never heard of Buccolam. I live in the U.S. had to look it up and found it is only used in a few states.

But in regards to finding a nodule, did the Dr. say anything about it? I had an MRI last month (found nothing), but if my neurologist had found a nodule, he would have looked into it and not just put me on more meds. Anti-convulsants not a cure.

If you’re not seeing a neurologist, you need to. It’s not something that should be glanced over, especially since your activity has increased and severe.

Take care, Steve

• Posted

I am under a neurologist and I have an epilepsy nurse. I feel as if i'm getting good care. I am currently taking Keppra 250mg twice daily. I have heard a lot about Keppra rage and am concerned with this as I am taking a lot of anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds.
    • Posted

Hello again Nicola.

The medical people seem to be trying to get you get you sorted-out, but adjustments in medications may have to take place from time to time.

My advice is for the moment to see how things go, and not to worry too much about the mixture of drugs you are currently taking.

Your doctors will be fully aware of the other medications and would not have done anything that might have exposed you to additional risks.

If your concerns become too much then refer back to them, but it is likely they will tell you the same as I have.

Best wishes

R x 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply..

Everything seems up in the air at the moment.. I am now twelve hours seizure free which is pretty good going judging from the past four days.

I am bi-polar and having a huge 'high' at the moment. I am out of my pajamas for the first time since Wednesday.. We are going to go out for a small trip as I really need some fresh air. I am determined that despite life changes that will need to be made this will not ruin my life..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.