New to this

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all hope yr all ok I'm new to this so I'm sorry if not doing things right while I work things out, I was diagnosed in dec 20 been on prednisolone since then started at 15mg then 12.5 then 10mg been on 10mg for about 6 weeks today had to go back up to 11mg just that extra 1mg worked like a dream at first well for about 6 hrs then pain started again, up until 2 wks ago I was comfortable on 10mg still pain some days worse than others, lots of differents ymptoms then I had my covid vaccine and been in pain since hence going up to 11mg today, dr wants me to stay at 11mg until 29th when I'm due blood tests. I speak to my dr regularly about dose but have read that ppl just adjust their dose when it suits them, do not really sure what I'm doing

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you go to the HealthUnlocked website you will find a very active community of PMR folk. PMRGCAuk.

This forum used to be really excellent but some ill-advised technical changes drove so many people away there is now little support left here. Post your question over there and you will find lots of people ready to share their experiences and offer tips on managing PMR and pred.

What you are describing sounds like either too low a dose, which you did manage with the slight increase you made, or a too rapid taper which can cause pred withdrawal pain which feels just like PMR itself. You should not adjust your dose except in managing a taper, or dealing with a flare. It is better to be on a stable dose and reduce very slowly as you are ready. Your doctor is offering good advice to stay where you are for a couple of weeks. A further increase would be justified if things don't improve over the next few days, or continue to worsen.

Another thing, you may have been a bit too active. We have to pace ourselves - as much rest time as active time. Treat yourself kindly.

Probably worth reporting the increased pain as a possible covid vaccine reaction. I know the authorities all over the world are trying to collect as much data as possible as this will help with future vaccine development and administration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.