New To This (at least having a name to my symptoms)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've fairly recently been diagnosed with chiari malformation 1. Looking back, I've had tell- tale symptoms for over a decade... but only within the last few months have I had debilitating headaches that never go away. I live in constant fear of sneezing, coughing or laughing because the headache that follows is unbearable. I've seen one neurologists but it doesn't seem they think my chiari is very significant. All I know is one day, my newly named "chiari" headache showed up and has never left since. The base of my skull constantly aches. It hurts to move my neck. If i sneeze, etc... i end up writhing in pain for 30 seconds of sheer hell. Are there non surgical treatment options? Otc meds don't help and I'm not really interested in prescibed pain meds.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Amy,

Where are you from? What kind of other symptoms do you have besideds the headache..did your symptoms developed progresivelly? Did they took a complete mri with spine and brain? Did they took also a cine-mri to check the circulation of your csf flow. With chiari it might be blocked.

• Posted

Hello Amy,

What kind of other symptoms do you have besided the headache? Did your symptoms developed progresivelly? Did they took a complete mri of the spine and brain..to look for syrinx..and also a cine-mri to check the circulation of your csf flow?

That might be blocked with chiari.

Where are you from?

Thank you,

Cakal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.