New to this board. Need advice.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm having bunion surgery on a" moderate to severe" bunion on my left foot sometime after Christmas.  I have no idea what I'm going to be capable of or incapable of during the first 2 weeks or so.  My doc says I will have to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks followed by PT for who knows how long.  I have asemi-retired husband who works part time and a few friends in the area (we're pretty new to this area).  My sister who is in another state and almost 80 has offered to come help me.  She's in good health but she is elderly so not terribly active or strong.  Will I need someone everyday, all day?

Any advice, help suggestions is most appreciated.

I had hip replacement 5 years ago and my friend who had hers done was so helpful to me.  I'm glad to have found y'all!!

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi joanne...bev here! I'm in Australia. Had my left bunion removed on December 4th..... so 3 and a half weeks ago. It has 3 screws and a pin it in..somehere. thers no pin sticking out like some people have.

The first 2 weeks I pretty much did very little.... rested with foot up. I did have to go into work on day 5 after my operation and I paid for it that night with a swollen painful foot!

I must say that I had no idea what to expect in the way of pain. mobility, capabilities....

But I had no one at home with me.... once or twice someone dropped in but essentially I was alone! ( I dont think thats approved tho!!). It is do-able....although I did fall over once just as a friend arrived, which was fortunate!

I found the biggest issue was instability on my good foot and worrying about falling when showering. I have to wear that black flat soled infexible shoe 24/7....sigh!

I have a KNEE SCOOTER to get around on in the house,,, most invaluable...google it and find one...so much easier than getting around the house on crutches.

So anyway, my stitches came out at 2 weeks , but I still wasnt allowed to get foot wet for another week. After 19 days I was well and truly ready to wash it!!

I'm still not allowed to weight bear ..except for the occasional use of the heel, which I do a little bit of. .... but then have to apply ice !

I have had little to no pain..they sent me home with mega painkillers which I refuse to use anyway... just the occasional panadol was enough. I still take anti inflammatories though.

I organised online home delivery shopping plus delivered meals (Lite N Easy). This made sure that I ate and my family worried less..

I have an appointment at what will be almost 6 weeks post op..... I await further instructions then as to what I need to do ,

good luck with yours!!

Cheers for now....

Bev

• Posted

Hi Joanne. Did you have the surgery? If you did mak sure you post back so we know how you're doing.

I love this forum. It's the only one I've been able to find and it's helped a lot even though we all hae different stories and different procedures and complications.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

I meant to have the surgery. ☺ My husband was t boned in a car accident and is in a sling for another 2-3 weeks. I figure I would need his full capabilities to assist me with my rehab so I decided to put it off until he is doing a little better.

Thanks for asking. I like this forum too.

J

• Posted

I was also 6 weeks NWB and in a cast. Even after the cast came off it takes a little time to fully put weight on your foot. What was a saving grace for me was buying a "Knee Walker". It's more or less a 4-wheeled scooter you put your knee on and use your food foot to wheel around the house. With my scooter I didn't need any help, I was totally self sufficient. Google it, they aren't expensive and worth it. I ended up having surgery on my other foot too so used the heck out my scooter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.