New to this condition

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am relatively new to this condition. My main current concern is the pain and numdness down my left arm and hand. Wondering if anyone has tried a neck support pillow. Have been looking at Tempur ones but as they are very expensive, I'd appreciate any possible feedbeck on them first. Maddy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maddy, Im brand new to it too.

Im waiting for the x-ray appointment at the hospital, and also for an osteo to get in touch for exercises, maniupulation and posture training (??) so at the moment Im a bit in no mans land. The doctor just said take pain killers until he gets the results back from the x-ray etc., but thats about a month away - and a month is a long time with the permanent ache I have in my left arm.

Using deep heat spray, painkillers and heated bags does not seem to be doing much of a trick at the moment other than making my office smell like a rugby players changing room.

At the weekend - in desparation - I rolled up a thin pillow in a kind of sausage shape and popped it under my neck, and it really seemed to ease the pain and I was able to sleep quite well for the first time in ages. It makes me think that the postuform pillows and similar probably will help. I will be searching for a good value one I think and take it from there.

• Posted

I've been sleeping on a Dunlopillo neck pillow for a number of years now and I'm sure it's beneficial. It's a shaped heavy foam pillow that you have beneath your normal pillow.
  • Posted

I tend to try and fall aslepp on my back with my heat bag around my neck and firmish pillow. I also wrap the heat bag around my neck if I wan to lie on my side and this seems to help. The heat also helps me to fall asleep when i'm in pain, kind of a comfort i guess.
  • Posted

HI,

Yes, I think the pillow has definately helped me. It encourages me to sleep longer I think because I don't move around as much, so its a definate benefit there. I also wrap a heatbag around my left arm in the middle of the night if my arm starts to hurt too much, or I have started to use a muscle rub with painkillers but also with menthol init. I forget the brand name but he bought it from Morrisons. I laughed long and hard when the husband brought it home as a 'trial' because if there is one thing that my CS doesn't do is give me a blocked nose. But oddly it actually does help. It cools that whole area down and the coolness 'drowns' out the pain somehow. Well worth trying - along with Panadol with added sleep stuff (??) or co-codamol - both seem to knock me out for a good period of time, which is always a bonus.

• Posted

I bought a Tempur pillow [the medium sized, original, with the humpish roll in the front] and am very happy with it. Expensive as you say - I gulped - had a friend with me who persuaded me. I am pleased I have it and wish I could afford the mattress as have this condition in the lumbar region as well as cervical.
  • Posted

[quote:fdfc5ce0d6=\"hilary\"]I've been sleeping on a Dunlopillo neck pillow for a number of years now and I'm sure it's beneficial. It's a shaped heavy foam pillow that you have beneath your normal pillow.[/quote:fdfc5ce0d6]

Hello, I have years of experience with back and neck pain. After 6 operations including spinal fusion lumbar and neck fusion twice. I happened upon this site due to me browsing for some advice on my current neck pain. For the last 3 weeks it seems to be getting worse.. I find at night the pillow used as a sausage works well. I have tried the fancy pillows in the past without joy.. Do you get electric shocks through the fingertips ( difficult to explain) If I touch things like walls or static objects I seem to be getting shocks that make my really jump, like static. I am wondering if this is due to a trapped nerve in the neck, I hope not. I have never had these syptoms before..I use the inflammatory drugs and gentle massage but my neck pain always returns. I keep active and work in a physical job.. Trying to block the pain by not thinking about it sees to help..... Cheers Ian

• Posted

Hi Maddy

I hope that the pillow helps if you decide to buy one. From the feedback you have received they are obviously helping loads of people. I think that it is equally important to keep the rest of the spine in line when you are sleeping so that there is no dragging. You can buy expensive products but I find sleeping with a pillow between the legs is just as effective. Hope this helps.

Christine

• Posted

hi welsh guy

i too am from wales, i like you suffer from the \"electric shock\" pain! its awful, it tends to happen to me when i try and bend my arm up to do my hair or alter a collar its exactlly like you have a electric shock shooting down your arm!!! i am waiting to have cervical discectomy and fusion so im hoping that will stop it. i do think its probebly a nerve reacting to a certain position. i havent tried those pillows but have been thinking of one but since my injury i havent been able to sleep with a pillow at all anything that seems to put the smallest amount of pressure on my neck is painful. i have to sleep with my arm straight down by my side , but im always woken by my arm being completly numb or the pain, i do find amitriptalyne helps with the nerve pain its just i feel completly zonked the next day like i,ve not had enough sleep.(probebly havent)how do you find things now your back at work? how long were you off after the neck fusion? ive been off work since feb and hope to get back asap after the op. im a homecarer so need to be fit to use hoists and wheelchairs etc.i would appreciate any feedback thanks. gail

• Posted

Hi, I have been suffering what I thought was shoulder pain for 3 weeks before seeing a Chiropractic.

After tests discovered a trapped nerve which must be result of a slipped disc in the neck. Worst time for pain is at night. I was loaned one of these expensive pillows which did not help.

Most comfortable position is lying on my back. Treatment is 'Cold' pack from the freezer every few hours. I also use a soft neck brace to hold my head in the correct position, but only for short periods.

I do not think any creams do any good, it is just a matter of time really (I had similar problems with lower back and exercise helped in recovery. Not sure how to exercise a neck or infact I should

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.