New to this Crazy journey!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Recently been diagnosed w/pmr. Was put on prednisone (much to my dismay). Want to get off it asap. Started @15mg. 1 month ago. Unfortunately, it helped within hours. I was blown away! However, I want to stop soon so I've gone from 15 to 12.5 to 10 then to 7.5 within 1st month. That's when it seems to have gone south! Pain&stiffness all over again. Per doc, I'm back to 9mg. Am I gonna be on an eternal rollercoaster? Ughhh. I've already gained 4 lbs. NOT GOOD! I'm not even eating more. Also, I've been getting lots of headaches and am quite fatigued. I'd appreciate any advice or input anyone out there could give. Thx!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynda, unfortunately we'd all love to get off pred as soon as possible but I'm sure you were told that it takes at least 18 months to be clear of PMR but a new study showed the average time is 5.8 years. That's not to say everyone will take that long! There is no point in trying to get off pred quickly because you'll end up exactly where you are, with all the pain back again! You should stay at 15mg for about 4 to 6 weeks and then reduce by no more than 10% of your dosage using a method developed here by one of our expert members, Eileen, known as the DSDN method. If you look it up you should find reference to it here. You need to keep an eye out for the headaches as there is a condition that can go with PMR which is called GCA, that needs to be dealt with very quickly as it can affect your sight among other things, so please be careful with that! The fatigue can be from overdoing things but also your body trying to adjust to the quick reductions that you're doing. PMR causes fatigue and if you overdo it, you will get very tired! No one wants to be on this journey, but it is a journey and you need too take care of yourself and stay on the doses until all your pain has cleared before dropping by 10%, otherwise you will end up rollercoasting. Best of luck with it all!

• Posted

It would be very unusual if, having reduced your Pred. by 50% in a month, you did not have a recurrence of symptoms. Was this reduction what your GP recommended? Has the 9mgs. given you pain relief? 

Weight gain is one of the many possible side effects of Pred. and it's the one that seems to exercise people most. It has been found by some that drastically reducing your carbs intake helps a lot. Being naturally bony I was quite happy with  chubby cheeks except that I kept being told how well I looked! I was started on 30mgs and the pain went as though by magic. As far as I remember the chubby cheeks began to disappear at doses below 7 but that's just my experience; we are all different as you will be told over and over again by other patients.

You will get lots of sympathy with your anxiety to be rid of Pred. but it the only thing that will give you a half decent life while the inflammatory disease lasts. again, different for everyone but the optimistic 18 months to 2 years that some doctors predict has not been found to be the general experience. mine lasted 3 years and five years ( 2 episodes three years apart. ) I have been well now for five years and, as far as I can tell, have no permanent adverse effects. 

You will get lots more from others on this forum. 

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you BettyE for your quick response! I wasn't sure I'd hear anything as it appeared this forum had closed. Yes, the reduction was per my doc. Actually, we've been playing w/dosage on an every other day basis! I'm just very confused and a bit overwhelminded by all this. I already suffer from extreme anxiety, and it's at a fever pitch while trying to navigate my way through this whole thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm only one in family who's had to deal w/this, so I'm kinda on my own!

• Posted

"as it appeared this forum had closed"

What gave you that idea? I must make sure the Chief Moderator hears!

Don't play with dosage - stick on 15mg until your symptoms are improved by 70-100% and fairly stable, probably 4 to 6 weeks. If your blood markers were raised - until they are down in normal range or at least very close. Then reduce by not more than 2.5mg - most doctors will say overnight but I have given you a link to the Dead Slow reduction which helps a lot. No reduction should be more than 10% of the current dose so 1.5mg would be better but complicated, the Dead Slow approach lets you do a bigger reduction unless you are very sensitive. But if the reductions are too big at any one time you will feel it as steroid withdrawal pain and panic you are having a flare or you will miss the dose you are looking for: the lowest dose that manages the symptoms as well as the starting dose did. So you have to stick at the starting dose in order to know how good you can get your symptoms.

• Posted

HI Betty,

i had to laugh reading your post. I'm 66 and never weighed more than 100 lbs and gaining about 15 lbs everyone commented on how great I too looked. After growing up being called bones and as an adult always being to,d I'm to skinny I started to like the weight gain. 

When I tapered down I lost all that I'd gained and everyone noticed that too.

now unfortunately started back on 20 mil for two weeks so here I go again, up the PMR roller Coaster!

good luck to us all

Sibcerely,

Sharon

• Posted

Hello Betty

I was put on 60mg of steroid about eighteen months ago, which helped me get around as I was in such pain it made me scream sometimes - oh wont go back there.  With the help of my Doctor I have reduced slowly to 10mg. At this level I do have problems in that I get depressed, anxious, plus my knees and my back neck & shoulders give me pain, also I get very tired/exhausted if I do too much (which isn't a lot) and my weight has rocketed.

I do understand that the steroids take over the job of the adrenals and that they have to be gently woken up but my poor things are taking their time.

My Doctor has upped my anti-anxiety medication and taken my steroid down by 1mg as he feels that the steroids could be causing the increase of depression and anxiety. Have only been on this for about five days now but I am waiting with baited breath that this regime will work.  I shouldn't grumble but the weight 'thing' is so awful..... sorry as I know that it isn't the worst of it all.

Thank you for hopefully reading this (anyone) I would be so grateful for any thoughts

Good Night hope you all get a good sleep

Abella Linda

• Posted

Hi Abella-Linda! I too am trying 2 not be on prednisone 4 too long. I was only dx. about 3-4 wks ago w/pmr. Was put on 15mg and noticed definite improvement in several hours! Only problem is, in my hurry 2 get off of pred. quickly, the doc had me reduce Way too fast. I'm currently on 9.5mg. and will remain so throughout month of Aug. I guess we'll reasses at that time. I'm having double vision in my right eye which concerns me greatly. Also, am moody, snappy, anxious and a bit depressed. I've always suffered from headaches but they've become even more frequent. And don't Even get me started on sweating and always being hot! I always look like a drowned rat!! Am flying 2 Texas in 2 wks. and am in a panic about Texas heat and flying. Sending u a big "cyber hug"!

• Posted

If you are still at 10mg the adrenals have not even started to wake up - they don't need to do anything until your pred dose is about 8mg and below. Above that there is sufficient corticosteroid present to switch off the feedback set-up that makes it all work. It's a bit like your central heating boiler - as long as the room is warm enough the thermostat switches heat production off until the temperature falls low enough.

Why were you started at 60mg? Was there suspicion of GCA at the time?

Many of us have lost pred weight - and avoided gaining in the first place even at higher doses - by drastic cutting of carbs. 

• Posted

Lynda - if you are having double vision and frequent and severe headaches please do speak to your rheumatologist. Those are typical symptoms of GCA - along with the severe sweats and PMR. PMR causes sweats - but they are not generally as bad as with GCA. 

• Posted

I can only echo what the others have already said. Just two things it emphasise - It will take time BUT you must never consider Pred as your foe, maybe not a close friend but as an acquaintance you need for the eminent future. For the record, as a male (78) which generally speaking has a far better record of reducing somewhat quicker, it took me two and half years. I started at 30mg and stuck to the DSNS method which worked well for me. I had a mantra that I would rather be a Tortoise than a Hare?

Second you must never relentless aim for zero in the quickest possible time, it will always come back to bite you again and in the long run you will be taking pred for a lot longer! Stick to the 10% rule!

Learn to ‘read’ your body, please don’t ‘rush’ and be patient – you will get better. Even after you get to ZERO it takes time for your body to get back to ‘normal’ - in my case just under a year.

All the best on the journey and welcome to the club nobody ready wanted to join - John

• Posted

Thank you very much Oregonjohn very good advice.  Folk have said to me 'oh those awful steroids get off them asap' I have quickly replied that they do save us, even though they can have a down side. I am so grateful that they are around otherwise who knows what would have happened.  I started on 60mg per day,  which was about eighteen months ago and am now down to 10mg but not without problems.

Thank you again OregonJohn

All the best

• Posted

Steroids are a life saver with PMR.  Cut out potatoes, rice, pasta etc and eat more protein and cut out any obvious sugar and you should keep your weight steady or lose some.  Reduce very slowly as mentioned and then the body can adjust to the drops more easily.   I also agree it's better to not be impatient and be a tortoise not a hare!

• Posted

Don't slate pred - it isn't as bad as you think. It will give your life back and when you know how the side effects can almost all be managed fairly well.

I had PMR for over 5 years before I even got the chance to have 15mg of pred - and the relief was so enormous I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I am unlucky in that I am one of the 5% who probably have PMR for life - but I have no apparent side effects from pred now. I have had them - I gained a load of weight but by cutting carbs I lost 35lbs of pred/PMR associated weight - some of the weight had gone on long before I got pred because of unmanaged PMR and inability to walk or do any other exercise. But you don't have to exercise to lose weight - cutting carbs a lot will do it too and it also calms down the voracious appetite.

Pred changes the way we metabolise pred and our blood sugar levels shoot up, insulin release is triggered and the BS level falls too far - so we crave carbs to sort that out. And the jolly roundabout continues - while the excess insulin deposits the excess sugar as fat in the usual places, face, back of the neck and midriff. Cutting carbs drastically can help avoid that - as well as reducing the risk of developing steroid-induced diabetes.

As you have already been told PMR isn't an illness where you take pred for a few weeks and then stop - it is a chronic autoimmune disorder that lasts, on average, just under 6 years. Fewer than 20% of patients are able to get off pred in under 2 years and a few take much longer than 6 years - but the bulk of patients are able to get off pred in 4 or 5 years or so. 

Many so-called side effects of pred are just as likely to be the PMR, believe it or not! Bad temper, mood swings, depression, fatigue etc can all be part of unmanaged PMR - especially the fatigue which is integral to autoimmune disorders. These side effects are not changed by the pred - it just manages the ongoing daily dose of inflammatory substances shed in the body every morning. That relieves the inflammation, swelling and pain to allow a better quality of life in the meantime until the cause of the PMR burns out and goes into remission. Which it does for most people - unlike most other autoimmune disorders such as RA, lupus, other forms of vasculitis or MS. Nor does PMR kill or maim and we don't develop it until we are over 50 in the vast majority of cases - the others I have listed affect young people and some can kill.

GCA, giant cell arteritis, has been mentioned: it is a close relation to PMR and you are more likely to progress from PMR to GCA if you do not take pred to manage the inflammation of PMR. In its worst form GCA can affect the blood flow to the optic nerve and if it is bad enough the optic nerve is damaged, in the same way a stroke damages brain cells, and you can go blind if not treated very very quickly with high dose pred. The doses for GCA tend to 60mg.day and sometimes more - a very different matter from living with the low doses required for PMR.

I was going to give you a link to our resources post - it seems to have disappeared! Very helpful People at Patient!

However - here is a link to a post on another PMRGCA forum which explains in a slightly lighthearted manner a bit about living with a chronic autoimmune illness

https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk/posts/135650532/fatigue-pacing-spoons-and-a-gorilla...

and here is a link for the Dead Slow and Nearly Stop approach to reducing the dose of pred

https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk/posts/131189593/dead-slow-and-nearly-stop-reduction-plan

which many people on the forum have used successfully - it makes reductions in the dose less uncomfortable and reduces the risks of flares. If you try to rush off pred you will undoubtedly have a return of symptoms - which you then either have to live with or you need a much higher dose again to manage them. Do it too often and it can get harder to get them under control and you need higher and higher doses.  

• Posted

So sorry you have joined this journey.

You have found a wealth of knowledge and support.

MariGrace

• Posted

I have been on the roller coaster for two and one half years. Mid June I was taken off the two and one half mg of prednisone I had been reduced to for 6 weeks. One week later I could feel it coming back. So disappointing!!😩. One of the worse things for me is that my sed rate climbs very slowly so I have to suffer for a long time before Dr. puts me back on Pred.  It’s like my blood has to prove what I’m feeling. Dr put me on a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory and it isn’t helping. I am running back and forth weekly for blood work and sed rate is climbing slowly. I wish Dr. could truly know how miserable it feels. I hope he ok’s the Pred. soon because I have spent the summer so far stiff and sore like I’m 100 years old. I am only a young active 59. I fear that this will never leave. I don’t think anything works except prednisone (scary).

Best of luck to all of you!

Patti in Ct.

• Posted

I wish they would keep up to date! Dropping you from 2.5mg to zero just like that was always heading you for a problem - there are plenty of people who need just 1mg for their pMR. And add to that you have been on pred for some considerable time - he could well have caused an adrenal crisis doing that. 

And the blood markers are really very unreliable - not only can they be raised and it was not a flare but they don't rise even with flare activity:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25877501

And he needn't say "oh that is GCA, not PMR..." They are the same disease, just different levels/expressions.

To be honest - I'd be looking for someone a bit better informed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.