New to this disease with LOTS of questions.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,  Ijust had my first AP episode (idiopathic) about 3 weeks ago and still very ill. Doctors (in California) think I should be okay now but I"m not. I still get naseaous every day and hate to eat. I'm overweight and had a terrible diet to begin with, but never drank (I have two alcoholics in my family and I'm the teatotaller). I just turned 50,I started at 218 pounds (15.5 stone) and only lost 10 pounds in three weeks. I take anti-nasea meds daily, enzymes and chinese herbs for reducing inflamation and reducing the possibiliyt of PanCan. Here's the history and questions.

HX: Gallstones in GB, but it was not swollen and there were no signs of the bile duct blocked or swollen. Mild fatty liver.  TERRIBLE pain for 2 days, like someone was cutting me open with a hot, sharp knife from left to right.  Black streaks on my tongue and grey pebble-like BMs. I was in hospital for 3 days and given 15 litres of fluid. I was so puffy! CT scan showed only swollen pancrease and happy GB and liver. Ultrasound showed stones in GB (they've been there for years).  They assumed it was my gallstones causing AP, however it was not. I refused to let them remove my GB as ti was not the problem.  I don't know the name of it, but I had a test done where they run radioactive dye through you to see if it is flowing smoothly from the pancrease and GB, through the ducts and it was fine.  So, Idiopathic A.P.

1)I was in an auto acciden two years ago which triggered a gallbladder attack, could that have cause this?

2) What can I eat? Please tell me what foods I can eat. Just saying low fat diet doesn't explain things clearly enough.  I have a lot of food allergies, especially to dairy.

3) I have Hashimotos Hypothyroidism and had to have my thyroid removed, could this be autoammune? How do I get tested?  I also had an hysterectomy 2 years ago which threw me into menopause.

4) What's this about chocolate and peanut butter?!?! Please explain. 

5) Are bananas okay?

6) Avocado?

7)Anyone else trying alterntive treatments such as Oriental/Chinese Medicine?

8) I am taking time off of work at the moment due to an antidepressant I have been on for 20 years suddenly stopped working.  I need time to taper off of that and get stabilized on a new one.  Would that cause this problem? 

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to the world of pancreatitis. The good news your not alone. Bad news there is no cure as such. Its about diet pain management and talking to people who understand. Cause believe me it'd hard when you can't describe the feeling. But is fellow suffers we know. Pancreatitis pals is on Facebook for people from all over the world to chat and discuss everything.

Doesn't matter where you are in world the disease is still not understood.

• Posted

Hello,I am sorry your suffering.this disease needs individual handleingits a case of finding what works for you.there are a few rules that really help.

Absolutely no alcohol

No smoking

Low fat ,best way I found is no more than 5% fat in any 100gr of ingrediance.

Buy,borrow get of internet recipes for low fat pancreatitis sufferers,lots of good sites on line.

Join Facebook sites,forums,get knowledgeable.

Keep a daily dairy of how you are,symptoms,diet taken,bowels,medication taken.this will highlight triggers,and show what helps as well.

Take the strain off your pancreas..eat well,good healthy food,fruit veg,healthy juices.

Remember pancreas hates being dehydrated,drink lots and lots water.

This is one nasty disease and we have to help ourselves.hope this helps

Cathy

• Posted

Pancreatitis is the worst been dealing for 6 months struggling with food nausea and diarrhea so I can tell you stay away from all fried foods fatty foods which is all junk food such as potatoe chips all processed foods all spicy foods no chocolate no sugary foods and anything else that disagrees with you after you eat it you will know. No diary at all no cheese milk creams now after that said fresh fruits fesh veggies meat that is baked or broiled limit red meats no butter either I habe found with this diet enzymes that I am finally after 6 months nausea free my GI doc says it takes a year to get over and the diet restrictions are a life time  hopes this help and know your not alone I live in Delaware
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, but remember you are not alone in this.  Many have AP or CP and I encourge you to reach out to them.  Doctors can be somewhat useless as they look at one or two markers to make their diagnosis, but they really need to look at the totality of everyting.  I was diagnosed with CP almost three years ago and have tried various alternative pain remedies.  Accupuncture did work a little bit and it would releave my pain for a short period of time, maybe a few hours or so.  I can recommend seeing a pain doctor as well as a good GI.   I had a spinal cord stimulator implant done about 1 1/2 years ago and it made a world of difference.  It does not stop the pain, it simply tells my brain to feel a tingling sensation and not pain.  It also helped to get off of the opiates.  My prayers are with you and all who suffer from this disease. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.