New to this forum

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello 

I am 65 in May, in July last year I was diagnosed advanced prostate cancer with a PSA of 893 a Gleason score of 9 and stage 4, it is metastistic in my left shoulder and right pelvis, I was put on the Stampede trial after looking at my options. This included hormone three monthly injections of Prostap 3, 6 three weekly doses of chemotherapy ( doxcetaxel ) and now in the middle of twenty sessions of radiotherapy.

Its been a bit of a haul so far quality of life is not the best, as I had with the chemotherapy plenty of side effects, the only ones I missed were urinating blood.

just had another cortesone injection in my shoulder help me move it more easily and mask the pain, back is another thing, but until the radiotherapy finishes I am putting up with that.

I am always looking for people who have had a simuler profile to me and how they changed what they looked for as in medication or new trials.

I changed my diet compleatly, now on radiotherapy I had to change again as fibre is a no no, again if any has gone through this any suggestions?

thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joeven,

I've no insight to offer but was curious why no fiber?

• Posted

Hi

Because fibre effects the stomach and causes things like diahorrea, the radiotherapy saps your energy and also gives you stomach problems,so you need to replace it with carbs to keep the fine balance.

hope that explains

• Posted

I too have no insight, but have one question.

When you were offered radiation, were you given the choice of less sessions but in higher doses than twenty sessions on, I assume, less than very high doses?

• Posted

Hi Barney

Because of my very high PSA and Gleason and being T4 I was offered a choice of two trials and I choose Stampede of which radiotherapy was the last part.

If you read about the progression of radiotherapy studies were done about how many sessions to have, it seems it did not matter if the sessions were shortened and the radiotherapy was strengthened so my perticuler session is twenty days with weekends off.

hope that explains.

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation.

How do we know that your participation on the trial was worthwhile?

Was a scan performed pre trial to be compared to a scan post trial?

Was the PSA measured pre trial and will it be compared to the PSA post trial?

• Posted

Hi Barney

I know I was in the main group not the placebo, there was a scan plus other tests done before I started the trial and my PSA is monitored throughout the trial and after as well as anyone who is on the trial is constantly monitored every three months.

As regards knowing if it's been worthwhile, well my quality while everything has been thrown at me has not been great, Iam hoping once the trial finishes , some attention might be turned to my pelvis and rib, as while on the trial they are reluctant to interfere with the planning and stages of the Stampede trial.

• Posted

I hear you.

Best wishes for the balance of the trial.

And for the radiation that will follow.

• Posted

Hello

My husband was diagnosed in October with a very high PSA in the thousands and widespread mets.

Unfortunately his diagnosis was too late to join stampede and so hasn't had radiotherapy but he is having ht and has had early chemo. Have you joined the Prostate Cancer U.K. Online community. There is an 'advanced' Pca board there.

All the best for your treatment.

• Posted

Hi Sally

I am a member of a number of forums and yes I am a member of that community.

Not good news about your husband, that sounds pretty severe, but I have heard of others with a high PSA who are still doing ok, here are medications out there for bone mets that give relief from pain for around 8/10 months maybe longer, have you looked into this ? 

Hope things pick up for you and your husband.

Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.