New to this - just discharged from hospital with a few questions.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello - I'm completely new to this disease, and I was relieved to find this forum. I was just discharged from the hospital last night after 4 days. My diagnosis was "complicated diverticulitis"; with a micro-perforation. The surgeons took a conservative  approach and pumped me full of antibiotics, saying that if my WBC came down I would not need emergency surgery with the temporary bag, and instead could  wait and have laparoscopic surgery that would only require 1 overnight in the hospital. So that's where I'm at right now. My question is, while the pain in my lower left abdomen has largely subsided, I have pain and what  I think feels like a hard mass in my upper right side right under my ribs. It's pushing on my diaphragm and very uncomfortable, but not super painful. Although the rest of my entire front side feels like  I just did 2000 ab crunches at the gym, but I think that's muscular pain - does that sound right? Anyway I'm more wondering if anyone has experience with developing pain/pressure in the upper right side and if this is something I should be concerned enough about to call about immediately, or if could  wait until my follow-up with my doctor, which will be within 48 hours. For anyone who's delivered a baby, I feel like I have a 7 pound baby pushing up on my diaphragm and making me short of breath on my right side, which is exactly what my now 20-year old did when she was in there. I've had bowel  movements today - diareah, so have not taken the stool softener they sent me home with. So that's my other question - should I take the stool softener anyway? I appreciate advice from anyone who's interested in responding.  Also,  I'm 50 years old,  in otherwise  excellent health, and only just found out I had diverticula when I had my first colonoscopy lat summer but didn't think much of it, was just happy I didn't have cancer. Thank you!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I haven't got a lump or pain in my upper right side I have it in my upper left side right under my ribs. If you are concerned I would let your DR know. As for taking stool softener I take fybergel mabevarine and a probiotic every morning fybergel keeps me regular. Are you in the US. The UK deal with diverticula very differently to the US   I don't eat any nuts seeds any food with pips in them I don't eat red meat or drink anything fizzy. All this helps me but we are all different. Good luck when you see your DR I hope all is well 

• Posted

I think for your own peace of mind I would get it checked out.  As for the stool softener, I prefer to wait until after I have finished taking the antibiotics.  Your current medication does have very severe side effects, one of which is diarrhoea.  They probably also make you feel lousy with no appetite.  For such a severe case as you obviously have had, it will probably be 4 - 6 weeks before you start to feel more normal, and your bowel gets back into something like a normal rythym.

Here in the UK surgery is the very last resort, for blockage, fistula or major perforation, and often micro perforations seem to heal up themselves on the antibiotics.  However I notice that the USA seems to have a one attack, chop, chop policy in many areas.  Your doctors seem to have adopted a slightly more conservative approach.  I hope your perforation heals naturally without the need for surgery.  But whatever the outcome, you will find lots of information on diet and how to manage this condition.  Also about the pros and cons of surgery.  Best wishes.

• Posted

My 1st experience w DD was over the holidays. My PAIN was on my RIGHT side and extremely tender. I also had stabbing pain spasm pain cycles down in the center pubic bone area.

Almost 3 weeks now since the attack that I was hospitalized for and almost finished my antibiotics. I am feeling better..but not back to normal, yet.

One thing I wanted to mention was both my docs said NOT to worry about eating nuts and seeds and the such. That has never been proven as the cause for DD. For a few, it may be, but for the most, it is not. Has anyone else heard this from their docs?

• Posted

Yes.  The current information is you can eat anything.  BUT - I think that is because there is no one food that causes universal problems, so doctor advice is very vague.  Many of us find that certain foods cause us problems, but it is different for each of us.  In my case wheat/gluten and full fat leave me doubled up the next day.  For others it can be nuts, seeds, popcorn, dairy, skins, red meat.  All sorts, and the only way to find out is keep your own food diary, find out what does upset you, and stop eating it!

The latest thinking on the causes of DD is mixed.  Undoubtedly a lack of fibre and highly processed modern food can contribute to the disease, but others like myself who have loved their veggies and eaten mostly healthily all their lives, also get it.  It seems there may be a genetic/inherited component as well.  My cousin and aunt also suffered badly, and they were born in 1883 and 1931 respectively, so did not have the highly processed Western and low fibre diet.  (Both ended up with colostomy bags - my aunt was one of the first in the UK at the time).  Stress is also being recognised as a contributing factor.  Pockets are caused by internal pressure.  So although there is no evidence, I have wondered if hypertension may also be a contributing factor.  My aunt, cousin and I all had/have it.  Also I heard somewhere that some people's bowels are naturally more sluggish than others.  A normal rythym is considered to be anything from 3 times a day to once every 3 days - quite a difference.  There was a TV programme a few years ago where the transit of a Western man was compared with a man from either Africa or India (can't remember which), where there is a much lower incidence of DD.  The Western man's transit time was around 3 times longer for the same tin of sweetcorn.  TMI but it illustrates the point.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better - it usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to get over an attack.  If you are on 3 weeks antibiotics and hospitalisation you must be USA based.  Here in the UK it's 5-7 days antibiotics and cope with it by yourself at home!  When you hear of a baby having urgent heart surgery postponed 5 times you realise just how bad things are in the NHS here.

• Posted

I remember watching that programme felina and it was indeed very interesting. I always like reading your posts on here as I find them very informative and usually relevant to me.
    • Posted

I agree   Falinia helped me so much last year I wouldn't be we're I am today if it hadn't been for her support and posts 

• Posted

Am I going to get strangled by my halo!!!!?  I only report my experiences over the last 16+ years and if helps that's good.  But I've not had it nearly as bad as some of the people who post on this site.  And if I don't have any ideas, or don't know, then I say nothing.  But I'm not a medical person and just hope I haven't mislead anyone. 

• Posted

I was told by my doc after 7 days in hospital to eat a normal diet whin I got home but I haven't been able to do this yet, and came out of hospital on 2nd December. Have some good days but still a lot of days with nausea. Bowel movements not normal yet. I'm on this forum every day looking for reassurance. It's a great way to get info because I've never had this before. I thought I had a mild case years ago, but now I don't think that I did. Think it was just irritable bowel. It's good to get help from other people going through same thing. Feel better soon. 

• Posted

Felinia you have been helpful to me too! 😀 thank you for sharing your experiences. 

• Posted

Great and helpful info.

Yes, I am in US..Florida.

I am thinking familial also. Great aunt, 90, on mother's sides suffers often with DD and grandmother on father's side, suffered with it. She lived to 101 y/o.

Re: nuts/seeds, etc..my doc said that in 20 years of these surgeries, he has never found a nut or seed in any pockets.

I eat a VERY healthy, high fiber diet and still, I got this. Go figure.

Great post. TY.

• Posted

I'm the same. 62,  . Active, eat all the right things. I've been pole axed by this. Horrible thing . However I have had bouts of ibs problems over the years, but just with pain, and not tolerating certain foods, bran type things etc. but always been regular. They just don't know enough about this . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.