New to this. My a1c went from 5.5 to 5.8

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor called said not to worry but my a1c went from 5.5 to 5.8 should I be worried? I am fat and working on loosing it. I just got a gym membership. Ive already lost 13. I was able to get my cholesterol from 225 to 183 in 3 months. Aside from excersizing what should i do to avoid getting diabetes?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Anything above 5.7 means you are in the prediabetes range. This is also called "at risk for diabetes." You can reverse this number by losing fat and managing your carbohydrate intake. Great job on losing 13 lbs already! You've got this!

• Posted

5.8 is still not awful, but it's the direction of the change that would upset people.

?It seems that exercise is very much the magic bullet to keep "pre-diabetes" from progressing.  And of course diet.  Look into diabetic diet recommendations.

?In brief, avoid white sugar and white bread and fruit juice, as close to 100% as you can manage.  Oh, and white rice.  Even basmati rice is much better, or brown rice.  Whole wheat is better, pasta is better, whole wheat pasta is 2x better!

?Learn to count the "carbs", not so much the calories, and keep the carbs below about 75, around 60 is even better.  As long as you are eating carbs cut way down on fat, too, not to zero but low.  There are alternate diets that use very low carbs and high fat, but that's a different direction.

?But exercise!  Just walking a couple of miles a day seems to make all the difference in the world, cuts your "insulin resistance" in a way that nobody really knows scientifically but it really works.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your replays. I plan on cutting cards as much as possible. I'm wondering if my a1c went up because for the last 3 months I've been eating more pathos because they had no cholesterol in them. My cholesterol 3 months ago was 225 now it's 183. So I got my cholesterol down but bow a1c is up. So. Not sure if that caused it.

• Posted

"pathos" is a food brand in UK?  I'm in US, have to guess!  The secret seems to be to avoid big spikes.  Smaller meals.  No sugary snacks.  And .... EXERCISE!

• Posted

Sorry I'm actually in the US too. Tennessee. I ment to say potatos. Lol

• Posted

though u are over weighted u r in high risk of diabetes. but if have not genetical record of diabetes then u r on less risk.but mostly over weighed people suffered from this type of disease because blood can not supply hormones over the whole body.heart became tired to supply blood and its course deferent type of disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.