New to this site

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m sorry not really sure I’m on the right site, I joined earlier and read a few posts and I’ll be honest I didn’t understand a few words that were mentioned but I’ve been drinking for around 3 years. This past year at least half a litre of vodka almost every night. I drink because I’m depressed, to forget, feel numb, to sleep! Now I realise it’s really bad for my health but I’m not even sure I want to stop? Only that recently I’ve been suffering chest pains and worried that maybe I’ve done damage ? 

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Obviously it’s entirely your choice what you say about your drinking and to whom.

All I can say is what I experienced personally. I spent years seeing different doctors, therapists, different medications and so on.

It was only when I came clean and actually admitted my problem, that I got the right sort of help. My gp suggested campral. I took it for about 10 months and managed to get my life back on track. I do drink now, but am open about it. I don’t drink secretly on my own and I don’t touch spirits.

I understand your reluctance and know many people view AUD as a simple life choice. Nobody forces you, you don’t have to drink, just don’t drink, simple. If only it was that easy!

Youve made an appointment with your gp, but if you don’t open up, isn’t it pointless?

• Posted

It is pointless I know, that’s why I’m not even sure I will attend. I haven’t got an appointment but if I call in the morning my gp will most likely see me as he’s usually really good to me. I just keep wondering if I start my therapy and it helps then maybe it will also help with the drinking? I hate the taste of most drinks, I only drink to get rid of my thoughts and feelings so maybe my new therapy can help with both? Xx
    • Posted

Thing is do you physically feel better after a night of drinking? I certainly don't especially if I drink night after night and this seems to build up the alcohol toxins in me, I feel fatigued and foggy headed all day but unfortunately it doesn't stop me reaching for the drinks so I can get that drunk feeling and some sleep. Like yourself I will have to get some help to stop but it seems even though I don't drink as much as you I am already having withdrawal symptoms the night after drinking, muscle spasms in my arms and legs nothing major but like when your eye lid twitches, the anxiety, not being able to sleep without alcohol etc.

• Posted

I’m so angry and frustrated I have no drink left and no money to get anymore I know that’s not the kind of thing I should be writing on here and I’m sorry for that but was hoping maybe someone had any techniques as to how to cope with the craving of wanting/needing more and  not having the means to get anymore xx
    • Posted

You seem to be in a vicious circle of always looking for more and not always finding it. Sorry, but the only way forward is to make a plan and drink less....
    • Posted

You have my sympathy, been there years ago and it’s sheer hell. I even emptied my kids money boxes just to buy a couple of cans of lager.

The only thing i could do was lie on the sofa just watching tv for about 3 days, anything to distract me from thinking how can I get money to buy alcohol. I had by this time, either pawned or sold my jewellery including my wedding and engagement rings, husbands wedding ring and a valuable family heirloom which should have gone to my daughter. So yes I know how you feel.

I am presuming that you’ve had to stop drinking suddenly and in effect, going cold turkey. Please be aware of the dangers of suddenly stopping drinking. Should you suddenly start to experience bad withdrawals, you need urgent medical help, 

If you’ve got any benzos like Diazapam, take those, although not anti craving, they will help.

Although not intentional, maybe use this period without alcohol as the first stage of tackling your drinking. Turn something negative into something positive.

Good luck and keep posting, it does help

• Posted

Very true robin, although you are the successful exception!!

The detox bit is the ‘easy’ part, it’s the staying sober afterwards that’s the hardest part.

Definitely agree about having a plan. Even after four years, I constantly craved a drink. My social life was non existent, I suffered horrible insomnia (still do!) and I know I couldn’t have done it without campral.

• Posted

I’m going to start tonight to try to half what I usually drink. Maybe try to start a bit later too that way I hope I won’t run out and need more x
    • Posted

If you’re intending to try tapering, don’t reduce too quickly. Otherwise you may get withdrawal symptoms. Personally I feel reducing by 50% straight away is too much.

Good idea to start drinking a bit later. You have to be very determined and have a lot of willpower to taper successfully.

I could never do it. As soon as the alcohol kicked in, all my good intentions went out the window. I don’t want you to think I’m knocking your attempt or being negative. It was meant to help like the saying “dont want to run before you can walk”

• Posted

I know what you’re saying and maybe it is a big leap but the thing is I can only buy the next size down bottle and if I buy what I usually buy then there’s no way I could not drink it all if it’s there. Does that make sense ?  Xx
    • Posted

Hi there, I have gone from 2 bottle a night to 2 units of wine each night Monday to Saturday.  I tried at first the 50% cut, and it made me feel foggy headed next day - Vicks is right it is a bit of a jump.   I then went back up to at 70% for a few days, then 60% for another few days, then 50% etc and began to experience nothing at all with regards to withdrawals.  I also found that the gradually I drank less, the less I could take which was win win for me.  I now look forward to my nightly treat (leaving it an hour later does help).  However, I still have a bottle on Sunday in order to get a nights sleep.  I have maintained this for several months now (albeit some cheating here and there) but I don't stress about it, just start again. 

Keep trying, I did not think I could do it, but have and it has got to be better than my 2 bottles of full bodied red a night.

G.

p.s.  Try keeping the glass and bottle out of sight, like in a cupboard or the kitchen; when you see it sitting there on your coffee table, you just want to keep picking it up.  Also try getting some dark chocolate, wine tastes awful after a piece lol.

• Posted

I drink in bed, I wait until I’ve settled my babies into bed then start, sometimes before they go to bed but not enough to make me drunk. For me once I start i can’t stop until I sleep but I can easily get through daytimes without drinking I don’t really understand it. I have a big/close family but none of them know of my addiction, although they know of my mental illness none of them know the reasons so guess I’m good at hiding things? X 
    • Posted

Yes, I understand the good at hiding it!  I don't drink in the daytime (Sunday I do with lunch).  My time is 6.00 - 8.00pm.  But I can still knock out 2 bottles.  When I go for lunch with my friend in the week she has wine and I have diet tonic because I am driving.  But when I decided, after joining in on here, that I would come clean with my Doc (which I did) I told my friend that I am alcoholic and her reply was "don't be ridiculous"!!!! So I guess I too am good at hiding it.

My sister has passed, as have my Mum and Dad; I have a brother with family and they have no idea of my addiction, neither does my sister in law. It is such a struggle for us but we have got to keep battling on - don't give up X

• Posted

All my family and close friends know the problems I had with alcohol. I couldn’t hide being wasted whilst trying to cook, or having to leave parties early or cancelling things at the last minute. I am no longer ashamed or embarrassed to having had a serious problem with alcohol. Took a long time and many relapses, but I sorted it and got my life back on track.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday, sitting in the sun chilling and nattering away. The first bottle of wine soon disappeared. My friend drank more of the second bottle. We ended up staying about 4 hours.

Previously I’d have bought more wine to take home and hide. Then I’d more than likely gone on a 3 day bender.

Now I don’t want more, I know my limits and don’t normally drink during the week, unless I’m out with OH or friends. It can be done, but I couldn’t have done it without medication.

• Posted

What medication can you take for it? Sorry if I sound dumb but I don’t know anything about alcoholism even though I think I do now have a problem xx 
    • Posted

I used acamposate (campral) It’s an anti-craving drug. You don’t drink at all whilst taking it. It enables you to remain sober without the constant craving or wanting alcohol.

TSM (The Sinclair Method) uses medication which you take at least an hour before your first drink. 

Google both for more info

• Posted

What a positive and life changing reply. You must feel at ease and proud.
    • Posted

Yes a real life change Robin. Makes me shudder when I think back. What started as a quick fix turned into a living nightmare.

Ive always enjoyed a drink since about 16, Friday nights down town, pub to pub, then a club and good bop, 70s Motown!! Went to college, got a job, married, 3 kids under 5. When the oldest two started school, I worked nights as a ward clerk at a hospital.

To cut a long story short, both my mum and mother in law lived alone and both became ill. I ended up basically running 3 homes, working nights, doing a degree at uni, 3 kids at junior school and OH working in the Middle East a lot.

A quick drink kept me going. After the school run, after uni, always when I finished work in the morning, couple of large glasses of wine before walking kids to school. Didn’t take long for me to realise how I relied on it, but still carried on like that for years. Stopping, starting again, AA (ugh!) broken promises, guilt and remorse.

As I’m always saying, campral was a life saver and changed my life. Yesterday was spent in the garden with grandson, paddling pool, sand and water table, picnic under the parasol, lovely simple fun. All the things I never seemed to have time for with mine.

You must feel proud too. 5 and a half years now for you. Watching your twins grow and being such a major figure in their lives. Not forgetting your wife too. I still feel guilty about things I did, people I upset, but no longer dwell on them. The only good thing from AA was accepting I can’t change the things I did. Change the things I could and recognise the difference. OMG sounds like I’m preaching, I’m definitely not!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.