New to tkr

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I am just after geting both hips replaced due to severe OA for a while. I had 1st in dec and 2nd in feb. I have been through a lots if upd and downs in my recovery and have been if my work for neary 8 months. My hips have recovered fine though l am still in pain medication for it as my knee is so sore.

I have found out both knee's have to be replaced. My 1st surgery is in august. I don't know much about knee replacements l know everything about hips. Can you help with a few questions please as l am really scared.

How long am l in hospital for if l am having one done at a time?

I know the pain is bad but is it controlled well with pain medication in hospital.

Is it the same as my hips l get a general anasthetic for the operation.

How long is recovery for one

I take it its all strapped up after op and l get PT to help me walk again just like hips.

Any help would be appreciated as l would like to know how long l will be in recovery as l am still only 5 months from last full hip replacement and am really scared.

Thanks

Laura

X

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had my total knee replacement surgery 10 weeks ago today. I had a block  for surgery. Now my bending is great but my extension is mediocre, only being able to get 2 percent away from straight with the physiotherapist (PT) holding my leg down during the measurement. I'm 5 percent from straight on my own. I do the stretching exercises and ride the bike every day to loosen my knee, but it still feels like it is stuck, stiff, and weighted. In physiotherapy taking one day at a time for heeling takes months. As you are familiar with THR surgery. Time and heeling is part of recovery.

• Posted

Laura, I'm surprised there aren't a mess of answers here. I had a bilateral TKR (both done at the same time), and I had my surgery in India, so my experience may be a tad bit different. I was in the hospital 7 days, but many seem to be in for roughly 3. Different insurance companies, doctors and countries do things differently. My pain didn't feel as controlled as I would have liked. Ha! I wanted to be knocked out. The biggest challenge for most is how difficult it is to sleep. Many notice a nice shift around three weeks po. It's not a huge difference, but it was enough to give me hope. I had a spinal block, which I've heard others say they also had. Recovery is a broad word and the answer really depends on the person. Getting into good physical shape before the surgery make s a difference as well. By 6 weeks I was driving a moped, walking up and down stairs, but still required ice and elevation. I will say that now, nearly 21 months later, I am so happy I did it. I can walk for a long time and don't have the pain I had before. Best of luck and keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi Lors. Sorry you have to go thru 2 knee replacements so soon after your hips. I'm 9 weeks post LTKR and doing pretty good. It's not an easy recovery especially in the first few weeks but taking pain medal before it takes hold is best. I had spinal block and sedation. Was in hospital 5 days (Kilkenny). Physio starts almost as soon as possible and continues every day also important when you're home. I did physio for 6 weeks once a week at the hospital but do the exercises at home twice/three times a dayear. Start exercising now and strengthen your quads and leg muscles as often as possible. Will speed recoveryou if they are strong. .wising you well with your surgery and recovery and stay tuned here. X

• Posted

Should read pain Meds. A positive attitude helps too. X
  • Posted

The hip operations are a piece of cake compared to knee replacements. It is usually a 2 day stay in the hospital then home or rehab. The pain is controlable if you can take pain medication. In my case I could not. I am 4 months into my replacement and it is still no picnic. Exercise, medication, icing and elevating are the key ingredients to your success. Recovery could be 3 months to over a year. Everyone is different. You need to go at your own pace and you will pay if you overdue. Take care and good luck. Stay in touch with these forums. They are a really big heip.
  • Posted

Yes, sorry to say knees are a whole different ball game to hips. Had rt hip replacement 8 years ago, which was unremarkable apart from it dislocated, twice! Once at 5 months and again at 8 months.  Omg, I didn't even know I could scream!  Fast forward to this April and had tkr same leg, I had a spinal block, fantastic, back on the ward and eating my dinner 4 hours after going down.  Then the next day Physio comes to start the torture!!  No one warned me it would be so painful.  I spent the first 3 weeks either crying, sleeping or wishing I hadn't had it done. But miraculously at 3 weeks you start to feel just that little bit better.  And now at 11weeks I can see my progression day by day. I can almost go up and down a flight of stairs without holding on, I can walk about town for a couple of hours, with one stick, and I've not used a stick at home since 6 weeks.  And I'm glad I had it done!!!  It's a painful slog, but you can't rush anything. Everyone's different, everyone's recovery has a different path.  Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Laura, I'm 6 weeks out from RTKR and will say that recovery is very difficult the first 2 weeks. After that it did get better for me. Pain meds, elevating and icing are key to recovery.  Also, physical therapy.  You have to be your own best advocate though dealing with the physical therapists.  I had to stand up for myself and refuse to let them push on my leg.  I know they are only doing their job but, it is still my knee and I know when enough is enough!  Stay on this forum and read as many posts as you can.  The people on here are fantastic and very caring.  Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi

Don"tt know why my post keeps getting sent for modiration. I would like to thank you for your help and advice. I am park of the knee forum and have been since mt first hip replacement it was the best thing that happened to me the people were so helpful and got me through both hip replacements. I hope the knee ine is just as good. What l was saying is l have not had a lot of time to research knee replacements and l don't know anyone who has had one never mind both. I only found out 2 weeks ago as l have private medical insurance through my work my doctor has gave me a date in august to get 1st one done. I am only 5 months from my hip replacement ans still am not fully recovered but almost there. At the same time l got told l needed new hips my mum has beed diagnosed with cancer so its just been kaos for past 2 weeks taking my mum to hospitaks for ct scan then biopsy and today it was a pet scan l feel l have not had time to think about my knee's. What's worrying me is that my ooerations are going to interfere with whatever treatment my mum gets and that l wikl be stuck at home unable to help but l know l need my knees dine as l need painkillers everyday just to get moving. I am scared stiff as l have heard of most people that they a lot more painful for longer than hip replacements. It camecas a bit of a shock as l found my 1st hip replacemment unbearable pain for the 1sr few days l was crying most of tome even when they were trying morphine tablets tramadol and co-codamol it was hardly touching the oain and l would end up getting a morphine injection as l was crying that much l was getting myself in a panic but what l will say it did get better eachday. With knee replacement pain will last a lot longer thats what l am taking from peoples replies. But its something l need donecso.my journey contines. I never though at 43 l was gonna nees all this surgery.. i feel like l have been living with pain for a few years l just want a normal life back.

Hopefully in a year or so l will be able to enjoy a walk with my hubby like we used to.

Thanks again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.