new to TN

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all. I have had tn for a couple of months i to went to the dentist thinking it was a tooth. and i read up on it and keep reading about short attacks of electric shock like pain. now i have been getting that but also a constant pain in my ear my top bottom jaw and side of face i cant let my top and bottom row of teath meet. is this TN its just cant help thinkingits not because i keep reading the pain goes away after a few minutes. i was put on carbamazepine and although the side affects are not brilliant it took the pain away almost completly just felt a twinge in my tooth. but the pain is coming bk so my dosage has been put up and the side effects have obvously got worse. will these side effect wear off ??

Hope i have done this right its the first time i have posted in a forum biggrin

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi, ask your doctor to put you on Oxcarbazepine, there are hardly, if not no side effects, its a sister drug to carbazepine so you can come off the carb and straight onto oxcarb.

i honestly don't know how people survive going 20 years suffering with this pain.

• Posted

Is that what your on? How long have you had TN for?
    • Posted

about 2 and a half months, i hade wierd pain after the hospital dentist yanked my tooth out last june. and its one the other side aswell how they expect me to live with it on both sides i don't know.
  • Posted

Hi Natalie,

My dad seems to be having something similar as the pain is isolated to his left side of the face but its a constant pain all day and wierdly enough at night its incredibly sore but not a electric shock. More like a intense pain where he cannot touch his face. This happened last week and he is going for a MRI as the symptoms are not like the usual and we don't know really what to do.

I posted a comment thread looking for anyone experiences something similar as we keep looking all over the internet but unfortunately there just isnt anything similar but the GP pointed to TN.

• Posted

Hi Dean. Sounds awful When my Tn is really bad it's a constant pain and my Teath hurt so much I can't touch them with any thing. I do also get the electric shocks but the other pain hurts nearly as much

Please let me know how your dad gets on.

• Posted

Hi Dean. Sounds awful When my Tn is really bad it's a constant pain and my Teath hurt so much I can't touch them with any thing. I do also get the electric shocks but the other pain hurts nearly as much

Please let me know how your dad gets on.

• Posted

Just want to ask does any one have the odd alcoholic drink while taking tegretol. ? I can go with but just wondering for night out
    • Posted

Hi Natalie

i used to have a glass of wine with a meal when I was on Tegretol. I used to feel a bit of tightness in my throat and surrounding mus les of my face but soon wore off. I dare not have taken anymore alcohol. It usually states do not drink alcohol whilst on Tegretol but I wonder how many people adhere to that. It does depend on the individual though. If you're thinking of drinking through the evening I personally wouldn't drink more than just the one. But you don't want to find you have a reaction whilst you're out with friends. If you wanted to try I'd go for one at home first by just taking a few sips. I know quite few people who have drunk whilst on medication. But again not everyone is the same. 

I still have an occasional glass with my dinner now even on my Pregabalin. Some people might say don't risk it. All I can say is be careful.

Enjoy your weekend in Yarmouth.

best regards

Gloriana 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.