New to treatment of hypothyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

For a year now I have had symptoms of hypothyroidism. The first test was a false negative. When my blood test showed I indeed have hypothyroidism my dr prescribed 100 mcg of levothyroxine. I've been taking it for a month now and feel absolutely no difference. I don't know how bad symptoms can get mine seem out of control.... I sleep for 2 entire days at a time without even getting up to use the restroom, I have gained over 60 pounds in almost a year and a half. Do this sound familiar to anyone?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joey, can you post the test results? Personally (and I'm no physician) I find it strange that your dr prescribed 100mcg to start off with - sounds like a lot to start with. I've read and been told its normal to start with 25 or 50 and then raise after 2 wks. It takes at least 8wks for the meds to start making a positive effect. Are you returning to get tested at 8wks?
    • Posted

Hi Mary,

Thank you for responding. I don't know all the numbers but the TSH was at 10 I believe. I have an appointment at 6 weeks to retest, which is two weeks from now. Does the sleeping sound accurate? I can't imagine if I had a job or a family to support how I would be able to do it. I fell asleep Saturday afternoon and woke up yesterday. I can't see how that could be normal for any health issue.

• Posted

I think that you may benefit from a second even third opinion. If u are in the UK that is your entitlement. If elsewhere i\ do not know your right to a second opinion.
    • Posted

If I don't see a change in my TSH levels and my dr raises my dose, and still don't feel better my dr can refer me to an endocrinologist. I think it might be to soon for that. I read a little about chronic fatigue and there are definitely worse cases then mine. I just wanted to hear from people going through or have gone through this if that sounded about right
  • Posted

Hello  Joey:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Levo can take 6 to 12 weeks to build a proper level.  You may need more time to get there.  You need to have Ferritin a component of Iron above 70+ to make Levo work.

If you take Levo, remember no food for 1 hour, as food blocks it.  Vitamins should be taken 4 hours after Levo. We need proper minerals and vitamins to help our immune sytem and to work with Levo.

Have the doctor check for your Feritin & B-12 levels.  If you still feel bad, call your MD.

Most people are on 75mcg to 150mcg doses. Sometimes they wait for 3 months and then draw your blood again.  So they may change your dose after your next blood draw.

Keep us posted on how you do. Any questions just ask.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.