New to Venlafaxine, finding it difficult

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I've been on various ADs for anxiety in the past and have stopped due to them being ineffective (Citalopram) or having too many side-effects (Sertraline and Fluoxetine). I've been on Venlafaxine (one morning tab of 37.5mg) for the past 8 days and my appetite has virtually disappeared, while I keep having bad attacks of anxiety and my nerves feel incredibly raw.

I'm tag-teaming the Venlafaxine with Mirtazapine, as I hoped that would keep my sleep and appetite stable (my sleep has been okay) but I'm fairly sure it's the Venlafaxine that's causing these issues. I'm tempted to quit Venlafaxine altogether, but I really do need something to stabilise my anxiety, which seems to be getting worse the older I get.

Anyway, any advice or re-assurance from Ven users would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wish my appetitie would go down. I am on ven at 300mg and I have put on about 3 stone. I am also on Amisulpride which does not help. I was not started on low doses of ven because my psychiatrist said it would not work for me. I started on 150mg and rapidly worked up from there, My worst side effect is also the sweating which is quite grim.

As for the weight, I am now on a diet and have quickly shed 7 pounds so I think I can get back to a normal weight with perserverance.

BW, BM.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I suffer from IBS so that may be why I get hit by GI symptoms when I'm changing meds. I sortof wish my GP had put me straight on 150 but I've had so many problems with mess that he's obviously decided to take it slowly.

• Posted

I absolutely hate the sweating.  I sweat even when it is cold.  I don't even own a coat or sweater, because I never need one.  This is why I want to get off of Venlafaxine...The sweating and the weight gain...but I am afraid because I was told the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable.

• Posted

You might be surprised coming off ven. I have had the hairbrained idea to quit cold turkey in the past and the symptoms were not bad at all.  I came off for about a week before I realised what a stupid mistake I was making - I still need my meds...I have been told to expect to be on ven and amisulpride for life.

BW, BM

• Posted

I never put an ounce on ven. If anything in numbed my apetite somewhat. And I am one of those people who could use a few extra pounds. It never works the way you want it to does it! :D

BTW I can't imagine what starting straight on 150 can be like? I felt like death starting at 37.5 - how did you manage? And how long did it take for the worst waves of side-effects to subside?

• Posted

It never does work the way we wanit to does it sad  I will get back to my desired weight though. I think Amisulpride is worse for weight gain than ven as it messes with your metabolism.

As for starting on 150mg, no problem at all for me, minimal side effects. The side effects have gotten worse on 300mg and they don't go away with time. Sweating is the worst of it along with being tired all the time - although being tired could equally be down to something else...

BW, BM.

• Posted

sounds like tons of fun... Hope you feel better soon. Or be eligible to go down to under 300mg soon for a hopefully less sweaty experience ! smile

• Posted

I am on 225 mg. of Venlafaxine.  And it has made me very hungry.  I have gained weight and so do many others on Ven.  I wish it would make me not hungry...I would love that...
    • Posted

I only take 2 meds a day. The Venlafaxine and the cholesterol pill.  I take them before bedtime...My venflaxine is one solid pill, not a capsule with beads in it....
    • Posted

I would happily swap places with you on the appetite front. I'm not really that bothered about how much I weigh, so long as it doesn't get out hand. I'd love to feel hunger again and not worry as meal times approach.

• Posted

I would love to swap places with you.  I would love not to feel hungry as I am very concerned about being over-weight...I am not yet that bad, but still I would love to lose 20 pounds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.