New toforum I have severe insomia from amitriptyline

Posted , 4 users are following.

be on 10m of amitriptyline and developed insomia after three weeks of taking them of them 8weeks now and still have severe insomia any advice would be very welcome

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi marie.I was on amtrypline for headache and not sleeping. I've been off them for 5 weeks and I still have headache but my sleeping is getting better. At first when I came off them I was only getting couple hours. Now I'm getting 7 hours. Perseverance is the key. Did you wean off the tablets or just quit

• Posted

Hi Desmond thank you for takeing time to answer me did the med stop you sleeping or had you got trouble sleeping before you took it I never had trouble sleeping untill I took amitriptyline it just seemed to turn a switch on in my head to stay awake
  • Posted

Hi i had trouble sleeping due to headache. But when I came off tablets I was getting couple of hours sleep. But now getting 5 -7 hours. Coming off the amtrypline is not nice. Your brain is telling you a tablet is due. And this is why u can't sleep. If this carry on go back to doc cause there is nothing worse than not sleeping. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

thank you I will go to see my Dr but I don't think he knows a lot about amitriptyline or its powerful side effects or withdrawal symptoms

• Posted

I didn't want to take them in first place just that I've had headache every day for a year so was referred to neuroglist who put me on them. I just quit them after 5 months. U will get there in the end.

• Posted

I was taking them for a gallbladder problem so sorry I took them now hopefully my problems resolve soon
    • Posted

Have you thought about asking for an increase? Amitrpteline is supposed to help with sleep.I'm on 20mg for sleep and ibs. It doesn't get me to sleep but once I'm asleep I sleep right through..... have a chat with the doc

• Posted

Hi Carolyn I think I was just unlucky it causes insomia in point one percent of people
    • Posted

Hi again. Please try epsom bath salts. They are good. After soaking in the bath u wil feel relaxed and after a couple of days of this u will get some better sleep. I laughed when my daughter told me this but it actually works.
  • Posted

10mg is a very low dose of this medication, for an adult teen I cannot see it being used as a sleeping tablet at this level

The medication is an AD medication, I take 75mg for nerve pain and it can act as a sleeping pill at that level, even this dose is supposed to be moderate for Depression. Try taking this dose about 30mins before bed, it may help you

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.