New (trainee) O.S of the hip sufferer would like experienced comment please.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. Some background:- 64 years old. Phisically ( was?) pretty fit . Up to last November was able to run 5K in 30 mins at the gym. Now,when sitting for periods of time hips now stiffens, and it feels like I'm made of rusy armour! Also muscle pain in groin and lower back. Eases with excercises and movement. I guess it's been coming on for a few months. So off to the G.P and a pelvic X-Ray. Diagnosed with mild wear and tear in the hips and lower back. A short phone call with the G.P. diagnosed early stage O.A. "That's how it goes, excercise and come back and see me if it gets worse". The "odd" naproxen can calm it. It seems to have come on quickly.  Now I appreciate I'm probably on the mild end of the O.A spectrum, but it's still come as a bit of a shock (Hey I'm an old man now :-) ). I just wondered what expereinced sufferers who have been on this journey think to this beginning. Any advice? Any comments? Thanks and thanks for reading this.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

P.S - I meant O.A not O.S...
  • Posted

I have severe arthritis in both hips doctor gave me tramadol i take 6 a day still pain getting really fed up I'm only 40 but can't stand pain some days

• Posted

Hi, i`m 60, male, and like you, i was always fit, gym, cycling etc, then bang. My hips started aching 5 years ago, and have been getting worse each month to date. I had 3 xrays and a scan on my lower back, ad was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my lower vertebrae and symmetrical wear in both hips, due to my occupation, which is caused by repetitive motion injury. I`m now started pysio and take no pain killers at all. I walk my dog, who pulls for 5 min, and to me, and feel that my horse has gone and i am walking like my legs are 5 miles apart. I rest for 5 mins by sitting down, and then it`s deja vu all day. I hate it, as i can`t go walking to the shops with my wife, and just feel useless. I know how you feel. All i need is new hips.
    • Posted

I'm a single parent to twin girls it's so annoying that I can't do things with them when they in school I go swimming and sit in sauna but when I get home sit down the pain starts

• Posted

I`ve been on all sorts of pain killers. only took tramadol for a week, as i didn`t want to be a pill addict. Doc gave me Gabapentin, looked them up and gave them back to the chemist. Now on a redeployment program at work, as i cant work a train no more.

• Posted

You have just described me! However I am a little older smile Try to get a referral to the Physios. If the GP won't do that and you can afford it, go to see a good Sports Physio ASAP.

• Posted

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. It looks like there might be "interesting" times coming down the track. I think the next stop is the dig deep and find a good physio. I like the "horses gone and my legs are 5 miles apart" description Peter. I understand that. Hey Ho! Onwards and upwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.