new treatment ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I am a 62-year-old male with interstitial cystitis, confirmed by my consultant a few weeks ago, he as offered me a course of treatment of “intravesical hyacyst” once a week for 6 weeks then once a month for three months, as anybody had this treatment? what’s it like, and does it work

michael

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I just looked it up on the internet. You can get all the info on this treatment. Said it is used for severe interstitial cystitis. I have an overactive bladder and right now in a new treatment called ptns. At one point I was diagnosed with cystitis. Think I might have I.C. but one Dr said I shouldn't be tested as there's no cure. Good luck for whatever you decide.

• Posted

http://bladderhealthuk.org/bladder-conditions/interstitial-cystitispainful-bladder-syndrome/icpbs-treatments/intravesical-medications/hyacyst

Hi Michael, I am in the states and looked up your info to see if it is akin to a treatment here called a bladder installation (see above link). And it is. This is where they drop medicine, usually something like heparin, into the bladder. They put a catheter-like  thread into the bladder and drop the medicine in to coat and soothe. It is meant to act as  a flare-breaker. If your symptoms are severe this may help you. The weird thing about IC is that what works for some may not work for all. Also, I might suggest watching your diet, keeping to an akeline diet as best you can and drinking lots of water helps as do taking freeze dried aloe Vera capsules. As another person responded, you can easily look all this stuff up and it will help you make the right decision which is why I placed the link here for you. In addition, your doctor should be the one to explain all of this to you. Unfortunately, many docs still do not know a lot about IC. I wish you all the best and hope things go well for you.

• Posted

HI MIchael,

I have a diagnosis of ic, overactive bladder and pelvic floor dysfunction.   I was very much in pain in March so after much research I changed my diet and it's really helped my symptoms.  I follow a diet which was developed for people with RA, it's an alkaline diet, so basically vegan but with no gluten, it's an elimination diet and I've found that nuts affect me. Also no tea or coffee.

I've also started antibiotic therapy as a private professor believes I have chronic infraction.

I don't know what approach is working but I am so much better.  I'm starting physio for pelvic pain in September which also should help.

Freeze dried aloe Vera didn't help me and it's also £50 a pot.  I have found vitamin d and a good probiotic to be useful though. I had an awful reaction to vitamin B.  Non of the odd sounding teas made any difference either.  I do take a bladder relaxant which helps.

I didn't have the installations, I think diet is the key.  Our bodies can heal when we cut ourselves so I feel there is no reason our bodies can't heal within. Diet is a slow process I think it takes 2 years.    

Hope this helps 

• Posted

I have completely rid the IC with Chinese Herbal Medicine.  The man I was seeing is becoming a bit of a celeb these days. The rest of my health complaints I manage now with naturopathy and essentials oils.  I'm so glad it has gone because I suffered for two years.  Hurrendous pain!  On a mission to spread the word now because no one should have to deal with it, imo its just a label because they don't know the cause therefore they say no cure, its not right and it stinks that we have to go through this hell.  

• Posted

Hi, could you let me know where the Chinese doctor that you saw is based?  I would be interested to attend.

Thanks

Sarah 

• Posted

Hi yes of course, how do you send pms on here lol. I can send you my article from bladder health UK and have a group of about 20 ladies who are also in treatment and getting well x
    • Posted

Hi, I do not know how to send pms on here either, lol not good at technology.  Shall I just send you my email? 

I've done well with diet (other than losing too much weight) so I no longer get the severe  bladder pain but I do get this constant stinging and burning sensation.  Also a type of shuddering pain if I tense my pelvic floors or tilt my pelvis and feeling that I need a wee all the time.  I can hold on 3 hours but the sensation is there always bad the week before I come on.  

I pay a bomb for antibiotic therapy and just seen a private physio but I really want to address the route cause and be back to normal again sounds like your Chinese doctor was good.    

let me know what the best way to message you is

Thanks. Sarah 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.