New treatment for early stage prostate cancer.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Surgeons have described a new treatment for early stage prostate cancer as "truly transformative"

The approach, tested across Europe, uses lasers and a drug made from deep sea bacteria to eliminate tumours, but without causing severe side effects. 

Trials on 413 men - published in The Lancet Oncology - showed nearly half of them had no remaining trace of cancer

Lifelong impotence and incontinence are often the price of treating prostate cancer with surgery or radiotherapy.

Up to nine-in-10 patients develop erectile problems and up to a fifth struggle to control their bladders.

That is why many men with an early stage tumour choose to "wait and see" and have treatment only when it starts growing aggressively.

"This changes everything," said Prof Mark Emberton, who tested the technique at University College London.

google: bbc news health - 38304076

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Have to look it up and see what is going on.  It will be great if it does work  Ken
  • Posted

Hey Captain.  Just found it.  I printed up 2 of the articals going to read them know.  Tahnk you  Ken 
  • Posted

It was on the main national news reports here yesterday and in all the papers. They say they may be granted a license to start this  procedure as early as next year. A real breakthrough by all accounts.
  • Posted

This is great news, although not a cancer  sufferer at the present, lets hope the various governments get there act`s  together and get their health  budgets under control!! this treatment will be expensive, and in the UK the NHS is under pressure!!   from so many areas and !!   unecessary treatments!!! This is a major breakthrough...and needs to be treated as such, well done to all involved so far, to give hope to so many!! and maybe to other cancer type sufferers as well!!..
    • Posted

I think this is good news.  I printed up the reports and I hope it goes well.  Men with cancer would have a better option then having the prostate removed and causes more problem.  Maybe in a few years the FDA will get going with it after Time will tell  Happy Holidays  Ken
  • Posted

Seems to the week for new treatments for Prostate problems. It was reported in I think the daily express that a new treatment for BPH was being trialed. It appears that new chanels for urine to be expeled are formed in a relatively simple operation with a short follow up op a few days later. It said that neither incontinence nor Ed would be caused by this treatment. At last! no good to many on the forum but could be a blessing to new sufferers. Lets hope its soon available.
  • Posted

Thank you for the news article. Lets hope they don't suppress this new technique.  It will replace radiation and surgery, which is a huge money maker!

• Posted

Sounds very promising, I hope it's made available soon.  I am also hoping the U.S. FDA will take a close look at this for the men here in need of an alternative to sugery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.