New treatment: Vedolizumab

Posted , 6 users are following.

Drug hope for Crohn’s patients: New treatment is first to work in the gut to target symptoms on the disease

Vedolizumab is first to work directly in gut lining targeting inflammation

In trials 40 per cent of patients were free of symptoms for at least a year

It is biggest advance since 1990s when drugs anti-TNFs were developed

A course of new treatment is thought to cost around £12,000 a year

Has anyone tried this treatment, did it work for you?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had 4 infusions so far, not seen any difference in crohns symptoms, hoping it will improve me as all others have not. Still on azathioprine also. It gives me a headache afterwards for a couple of days and makes me tired. Have noticed I am losing weight also.
  • Posted

Did not mention I have had 2 bowel resections previously and ulcers have come back, that is why they are trying this. Last chance I think.
  • Posted

So what are the side effects of this drug? Does it weaken the immune system like the Biologics? I am hoping they will come out with one that works well that doesn't weaken the immune system. I have refused three different doctors that were pushing Remicade or Humera on me. They asked why and I said simply they reduce my immune response to other diseases so my immune system may miss some cancer cells or I can die from food poisioning and so many other opportunistic diseases. I hope this medicine doesn't weaken the immune response. If it doesn't I would like to try it myself.
    • Posted

They state that as it goes straight to the inflammation in the bowel, your immune system is not as compromised as with the others. You should talk to your consultant or gastro nurse to get the full story. It may be ok for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info, if it doesn't crush my immune system then I will try it. I have been on a low dose of prednisone for 7 years now and it works well in me and it hasn't depressed my immune system at all. I never get sick during cold and flu season while those around me are all getting colds and flu. I work in a public setting so I need my immune system. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hope it all goes well for you. I also used to work in the public sector, so I understand your concerns x
  • Posted

Well I looked into it and it does suppress the immune system, mainly in the gut. This however is our fist line of defense. There are drugs being tested in Canada now that don't suppress the immune system, I hope that I can hold out that long. 
    • Posted

It does not compromise the immune system the same as the other immune suppressants that are used and works on the gut. If you are so worried, you may be better discussing things with your consultant to try and find a way forward. It is hard to know what to do for the best I understand. I have become a ' I'll try anything to help, bring it on' type I'm afraid. This has been going on since I was 7 and I am now 59. Only in the last 10 years have I had more help than being fobbed off with, 'you have a bug', or as it was described in my notes as a teenager, 'dysentery'. I wish you all the best x
    • Posted

My doctor has been pushing me to go on Humera or Remicade. I have been in remission for 7 years on 10 mg of Prednisone taken daily, but she wants me off the Prednisone and it works well for me so I really don't get the reason for this. I told her if they will not give me Prednisone any more I would rather take nothing for it, unless there is an option that will not beat down my immune system. It is difficult for people with IBD we have to find a drug that we can live with and most choices out there have some pretty nasty side effects. I hope Vedolizumab works well for you and you feel better soon. IBD is a tough path in life and coping with it can be challenging.
    • Posted

Hi Craig,I'm interested in drugs that don't suppress the immune system. What do you think is coming on the market?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.