New/Unofficially Diagnosed...Opinions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well, I'm bracing myself for daignosis but I figure sooner is better than later and I might as well get to it.  It's been tough reading the material.  I would love to get your thoughts.

I had a feeling under my chin about two months ago that felt like a salivary gland was irritated (kind of like a "twinge"wink and I've felt it before when I've been sick or getting sick (I had been struggling with some kind of bug for a while at the time) - no biggie.  Slowly my teeth on the right side developed a mild ache and I went to see my dentist and she found an area of receeded gum but my teeth and gums are very healthy according to the pano X-Ray she took - this was confirmed recently by a periodontist who took a 3D CT scan.  A few days ago I cut out of work early and had some drinks (a few too many) and the next morning (Wednesday) I woke up with more soreness in my teeth which got pretty bad by the time we sat down to Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday.  Nothing on my face seems to trigger it and I can eat, etc. but they were pretty sore.   I have a very high tolerance for pain and this was getting my attention.  Advil helped a little and I had some Vicodin left over from knee surgery and it didn't help too much.  Today they weren't all that bad - still a little sore but I just used some Anbesol in a few targeted spots which seemed to work.  I have an ENT appointment for Dec. 1 because the periodontist did see a small irritation/mass where my salivary discomfort was, but I sort of feel like I should jump to a neurologist and possibly a neurosurgeon soon - I've identified a very good one.  My teeth ache only midly now, I'm more tired and scared from all the research, etc.  Unfortunately with the holiday weekend I have a few more days before I can contact anyone. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Mark. I'm in UK so the initial scans, X-Rays may be different. However, your symtptoms don't sound like 'classic' TN so don't panic yet! With TN, the pain is triggered by eating, drinking,speaking, teeth cleaning, or any movement of the mouth when it gets severe. At first, the electric shock-like jabs tend to be transitory - I've had two attacks like thaat which, mercifully, went into remission after about a month. But it comes back, so now I've had six weeks of feeling I've died and gone to hell! The medics want, always, to treat the condition with medication, which is anti-convulsive, because the alternatives are cranial surgery (known as MVD in UK ( not what the medics want to perform on an aged person like myself!) or percutaneous procedures through the cheek, none of which are guranteed to work and may leave one with damaged nerves in the face. I'm soldiering on with the medication but it seems to be taking a long time to work.The methods for treatment I descibe are those available here; things may be different where you are. I do hope your condition DOESN'T turn out to be TN and that whatever it is is more easily treatable.

• Posted

Thank you, Celia.  I appreciate the information!  I'll keep this thread posted after I meet with ENT and possibly neurologist.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm a trained nurse with 30 years experience, much of it in ENT nursing, and it sounds like you may well have a blocked Salivary gland, most likely due to a stone or infection. The pain you're experiencing is what is known as referred pain: basically your body gets confused as to the source of pain and your eyes can't see the source either so your brain makes a best guess. It could also be that any swelling due to a blocked gland or infection is pressing on the nerve in that area.

An ENT referral is the right first step. Good luck!

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for responding, Susan.  The pain I get (again, seems to be related to alcohol consumption which may cause dehydration) feels similar to pain I've had when I get a thorough cleaning at the dentist - sort of achy/raw and it typically lasts for a few days.  These recent bouts have been localized to my left side of the jaw and also include more twinges under the mandible.  I'll keep the thread posted and thank you again.

• Posted

Hi Mark, it doesn't sound like TN to me. TN pain is sharp, piercing, sudden, bring you to your knees pain. A definite "10" on the pain scale. Good luck going forward. I hope it's not TN. By the way, my pain is now controlled with Tegretol. Just so I don't get too comfortable, the pain will rear its ugly head if it's been over 12 hours in between pills. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.