new user - best to take morning or at night?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, been prescribed 10mg citalopram today, depression not responding to usual 'coping strategies' (good, bad or indifferent!).

I know insomnia can be a problem, so would I be best waiting till tomorrow a.m. to start? I'm planning on shaving part of the pill off anyway, so I only have a v small start dose.

Any ideas really welcomed, you guys are heroes, who needs super powers when you've shown you can withstand major depressive episodes! :D :D

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Take the tablet first thing in the morning with some food and have a lot of positive thoughts.

I found I was tired for a couple of weeks but put this down to the depression and not the medication.

I'm taking 20mg and been on them for 6 or 7 weeks.

Feel loads better and looking forward to the future.

I'm back at work and can laugh at funny things on tv.

I was very bad before I started taking the tablets. I also found reading the comments on this site every day help me to realise that I'm not the only one and I can get through it

• Posted

Hi i take my in the eveneing 8 pm. I take it then as i know i will be home around that time, morning times i dont have to worry about what time i get up :wink: Well i mean on weekend's i do work and leave home at 7.30 am so dont want to worry about it then. I have been on it for around 3 years now and i am going back to my G.p. in 2 weeks to see if i can start coming off it. the only thing i worry about is that i am a teacher and i am concerned about the side effects . Good luck i have found it works for me just give it time. i'm on 30mg day. 3 x 10mg's. i started on 10 then worked up. I did not have no side effects. :D
  • Posted

i'm on 20mgs daily - find best to take on waking which for me is usually 5 or 6am. Some slight nausea for an hour or so but usually feeling okay by the time I go out around 8am. Yes pins and needles and a selection of other side effects, but I've been on this treatment for 5 weeks and have found it very helpful. First few weeks of sideeffects not easy, but I'm now feeling much better, got my sense of humour back ... good luck
  • Posted

i am taking 40mg i started taking them at nite and found i wasnt sleeping at all when i first started taking nothing new here thou as i never seem to sleep , i found it beta if i take them in the morning thou good luck xx
  • Posted

Thanks everyone who replied, I'm currently taking early evening to sleep through the worst of the side effects, but am working round to earlier in the day - I'm not really doing mornings at the moment!! :D
  • Posted

I've not found a great deal of difference

orning or night, What I can say is the early side effects waking early, hot sweats etc passed off and now after about 10 weeks I feel a lot better and there are no real major side effects. However the changes take place gradually so stick with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.