New user - how long do side effects last?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just started on 37.5 mg yesterday morning with breakfast. I am nauseous, I have no appetite, and my mouth is very dry. I realize it can take 4-6 weeks until benefits fully kick in, but how long until uncomfortable side effects diminish? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i will be starting 37.5 tomorrow morning going off of lexapro 5mg today was last dose..  i am been nauseous for months on lexapro so i was hoping it will stop when i go on venlafaxine...  it is just the beginning..  i hope it does go away sooner then later..  i was so hoping i would just go off of lexapro  but not.. starting your meds tomorrow...  i do hope you feel better..  
  • Posted

I think nausea doesn't last that long. Myself, I don't get it, have been on ven for just over 2 weeks now. Is it 37.5mg immediate release morning and night, or 37.5mg extended release, just once a day?

• Posted

Ie is your total daily dose 37.5mg, taken once a day, or twice a day, and is it immediate release or extended release tablets you are taking?
    • Posted

37.5 mg extended release once a day for the first week, then increasing to twice a day. So I am on once a day right now. Symptoms seemed reduced today. Thank you for the replies. 
  • Posted

i had the dry mouth and loss of appetite when starting also, along with an increase in anxiety

dont worry that will all pass (or settle down to the point of not being so bothersome).  believe it or not those side effects often mean that the correct and expected 'changes' are going on inside you which will lead to your depression and anxiety being defeated once the adjustment phase is over and you are settled on the correct dosage for you (usually 75mg to 150mg although some people do better on higher doses than that (or lower doses in some cases, such as people who are particularly sensitive to meds))

• Posted

Thanks, I am feeling a bit better already. I am also taking xanax for the anxiety and insomnia until the venlafaxine kicks in. 
    • Posted

thank you so much for that infomation..  Sun..  ijust started ven 3 days ago 37.5 for 7-10days then 75mg after i see the doctor.  yes increase in anxiety...  i take xanax for that..  but getting harder not to take a extra one.. but i can;t..    thanks for the info...  
  • Posted

Hi I wanted to come back with an update. Venlaxafine has been an absolute godsend for me at a difficult time in my life. My anxiety is under control and I have been able to enjoy some important family events as well as my day-in, day-out life. I started on 37.5mg XR and was supposed to up to 75 after a week but delayed it due to extreme nausea and dry mouth, which caused me to lose about 5 pounds. Now I am on 75 mg, although I am apt to forget to take my dosage which seems to have no impact -- I just take it whenever I remember. My biggest issue now is that when I wake up in the morning, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. It is SOOOOO HARD to wake up. After about 30 minutes, I am fine and ready to tackle the day, but I seriously need to get up 30 minutes before needing to be productive to have time to get rid of the cobwebs. It is a small price to pay for the sky looking bluer, the sun shining brighter, and my life feeling joyful again.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.