New Victory!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Today I challenged myself to head down the NINETY-ONE steep steps to Lake Erie to collect rocks to finish our Rock Garden edging! I had not done this since before my two knee replacements in 2015.

Stairs have always scared me. I toppled down FOURTEEN of them in my house when I was ten when I tripped over a shoelace and have been wary of steps since then.

I REALLY wanted to finish our Rock Garden edging, though, and Lake Erie is one of my very favorite places. I decided it was time to DO IT!

Standing at the top of those NINETY-ONE steps this morning was quite intimidating! I had gone up and down them many times prior to my surgeries, but THIS TIME was different. I now had two knee replacements. I had done six months of physical therapy to get myself back to normal following those knee replacements. I have challenged myself many times in the last two years since my surgeries from standing eight hours at a political rally last summer to walking several miles on a beach picnic with my son and granddaughter last month and working in my garden and in my yard for hours day after day this summer without needing to sit down as I USED to have to do.

These NINETY-ONE STEPS were a NEW challenge. Could I do it? Would I slip and fall? Could I make it BACK UP the NINETY-ONE STEPS carrying a large bag of large rocks?

I decided to take my time, HOLD ONTO the railing, and REST if I need to rest. I said a prayer and WENT FOR IT!

It was SUCH a wonderful feeling when I got down to the beach! The weather was PERFECT, and the waves were just beautiful. I secured my large canvas bag, phone, and car keys out of the way of oncoming waves and went to work finding great rocks for my Rock Garden. I watched the gulls searching for their breakfasts. I stepped into the lake water time after time to snatch a perfect rock before being engulfed by a wave. I got braver as I realized that my balance was DARN GOOD! I headed out further for even better rocks and enjoyed it once again when the waves crashed against me and I got wet but DID NOT FALL!

I collected a full bag of rocks and then collected more! Yes, I was planning to head BACK UP those NINETY-ONE STEPS with my bag of rocks then RETURNING for the rest to make a SECOND TRIP!

I rested on the bench at the top of the steps. I had some water and a granola bar I had brought with me. I snapped a selfie with my bag of rocks. I felt like I had just reached the finish line of a marathon!

I headed back to my Jeep, unloaded my rocks and HEADED BACK to do it all over again!

Today I felt very empowered. Today I challenged myself and succeeded.

I hope that everyone reading this will experience empowerment as YOU challenge YOURSELF to try something that MAY be just a little bit scary. It feels WONDERFUL when you reach your goal-- no matter whether it is accomplishing a new exercise or overcoming a fear in order to reach a personal goal.

Wishing all of us continued progress as we get our lives back again!♥️

4 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that Cheryl. That's wonderful! Just as I was wondering if I'll ever get back to the things I enjoyed, I ran into an acquaintance who told me it took a while, but certainly within a year he was back to hiking & biking (which I also enjoy) like he did several years ago. Tomorrow is my 10 week anniversary post TKR (I know I'm impatient) & going for a manipulation so hopefully that will also move me along. Enjoy all you love to do.

• Posted

Fantastic Cheryl!!!!!
    • Posted

I think back to your posts when you 1st joined the group.......you have made amazing progress, both physically and mentally. 91 steps to an unlimited future. (Maybe you shouldn't try sky diving). You deserve it, you've worked hard for it.

• Posted

Hooray! And wonderful to read! That is fantastic! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

• Posted

Beautiful story!

I am six weeks post op and this gives us new TKR patients something really good to look forward too, knowing that you can get back to a normal life, a life we all used to have, knowing we will walk distances again and even cope with stairs

Listening to other survivors of this extremely painful and restrictive operation gives hope to get through it to us newcomers.... thank you 😘

• Posted

cheryl90571, wow what  victory and yes you have your life back, i have also done both my knees a year apart and walk around as i could not walk for 5 years wheelchair bound then crutches after the first one last year november  and as i have mentioned on my own 2 legs not so much as you can do but are realy trying but i also can stand and walk to fetch stuff for myself and bike a bit i will not try to run the comerades yet lol i think i will need a week to finish it but well done regards danie61... now 64
  • Posted

That is wonderful Cheryl, you have conquered your fear! Enjoying life to the fullest is a reality all of us can accomplish. Thanks for sharing your story! Dolores
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story, Cheryl. Very motivating and inspirational. Congrats on all your successes!
  • Posted

How great to read your post! May your experiences only get better. 

It's so very gratifying to read such an upbeat, positive post. I'm only 2 wks postop and very impatient; when I overdo exercising/don't ice my knee enough/etc. I start getting alarmed...your post has brought new optimisim to me and I will read it every time I feel myself getting depressed or preoccupied by worry.

Thanks, cheryl190571! All the best to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.