New with MD. Symptoms, test and meds.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I want to share with you my 1st day on MD, hoping this will help somehow.

PRELUDE

I woke up one morning feeling pressure in my hears, head ache and dizziness . Fist thought: fu** here comes the flu.

After 10 days, I went to the hospital, thinking this time I have a bad anxiety (which I have).

Every time I have some symptoms can't help but have a bad anxiety.

SYMPTOMS

+ears pressure, similar the one you can experience on a flight (especially left ear)

+ears pain (especially left ear)

+left eye pressure (mild and not constant)

+jaw pain, just down my left ear

+dizziness

+bad headache , from top to the back, almost neck

+anxiety

+low energy

+fatigue

Now, I have these symptoms only if I stand and I walk, less if I sit, basically gone if I lay down or sleep. (lucky)

Once I get up I'm ok, shower and then when I go to the office, everything starts again. I don't really have attacks. Just constant head ache and ear pressure.

TEST

The doctor stimulated both ears with cold and hot air. From the movement of my eyes he concluded with: peripheral vertigo.

MEDICATION

Serc 24mg + Prochlorperazine 5mg 2 times per day

What is your thought? Sounds like a right diagnosis to you guys?

Good luck everyone!

Domenico

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

peripheral vertigo is a rather generic diagnosis. It only means that your problem originates from the inner ear. Many diseases originate from the inner ear. ...Meniere's Disease is only one of them. Being on Serc (betahistine) is the correct med for some inner ear diseases. It's certainly worth trying to see if it is effective for you. 24mg is a low dose. Don't give up on Serc until you try higher doses. Most folks need at least 48mg/day or higher. I hope the Prochlor helps with your anxiety. Let us know how you are doing....good luck.

• Posted

Yes, the doctor said it's too soon to give it that name but he said that to me. Probably he wants to see me again after 2 weeks on meds and see.

Serc is 24mg but I have to take 2 pills per day, morning and dinner, so it should be 48.

Regarding the anxiety they also gave me Xanax 0.25 which is helping a lot not worrying too much and get some rest and sleep.

This morning my symptoms are decreased probably 40/50%

Thanks!

mantis

• Posted

do you live out of the states ? No one here will put me on serc. I wish you luck and hope it isnt MD. worse disease and no cure. You just pray it stays away.

• Posted

Hi Judy. I'm not terribly surprised to hear you say that "no one here (USA) will put you on Serc". Serc, however, is just the brand name for generic Betahistine. Any compounding pharmacy in the US can make Betahistine for you. You do need a prescription but any ENT doctor can write that for you. Have you been seen by ENT? If so, request they either write the prescription or give you a recommendation to see a neurotologist....who is an ENT that has a sub specialty in inner ear diseases. I can assure you they will write the script for you. Your script would likely be for 8mg 3times/day. This is a very low dose but a good place to start. After 4 weeks you should start increasing the dosage until you reach the point of vertigo elimination. As I stated in an earlier link on this message you will likely need at least 16mg 3 times/day. Many folks need even higher dosage. I take 16mg 4 times/day and this has completely eliminated vertigo. I have bilateral MD. Good luck.

• Posted

I would recommend go and see a TMJ trained dentist, My symptoms improved greatly after TMJ treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.