New Years Resolutions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all this year has definitely been the worst of my life and for the New Year I want to get off medication all together and get back to living my life the way I used to before the bottom fell out.. I was wondering if anyone else had resolutions or goals for 2017 and wanted to share so we could all help each other reach our goals.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

All I can say, in reply to your post, is that medication is helping me. It is not the ideal place that I would like to be...I would love to be in a position of not needing this medication! However I am not going to 'jump from the frying pan into the fire!'.  I am slowly learning to accept that I need this help and equally embrace the life it gives me! Not my ideal but better than, sadly, I can achieve (nowadays) without it...I repeat, not my ideal as I would love to be pre med state but life 'throws us a curveball' and it is up to us to respond/react in the best way we know how.

Wishing you every success and happiness in your life ahead.

My advise: be honest with yourself..it is your life and you do not have to prove anything to anyone else! You know the truth within yourself..allow yourself to be kind to you! Xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I've been where you are, I want you to know that in the future you may feel ready to consider withdrawal. I've been on meds for about 15 years. I was told by my GP that I may need lifelong treatment. But eventually I came to realise they were making my symptoms worse. I've just come off Mirtazapine so I'm in the early stages. I'm also on Venlafaxine which I am very slowly reducing. I may find I need a small dose but I'll wait and see. I'm not putting pressure on myself. Stay well Sharon and have a happy 2017 xxxx

• Posted

Couln't agree with you more. Some of us need medication to achieve a reasonalble quality of life. I will have to take medication for the rest of my life but I need it to remain healthy. A situation that I need to accept.

Remember the object is to feel well not be medication free.

Wish you all a healthy and relaxing 2017

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Be careful not to pressure yourself, take it very slowly. Read other peoples' accounts of withdrawal on this forum. Medical advice to reduce fast is not always the right advice.

I was on 45mg and reduced by 7.5mg until I got to 7.5mg then 3.75mg then stop. I'm managing to sleep....so far. My anxiety symptoms have gone. I'm looking to come off my Venlafaxine but that will take me into next summer.

Try not to aim for the person you were before, aim for the person who has had a terrible experience but has come through it. You may find your body isn't ready for withdrawal. Be kind to yourself.

• Posted

Hi Catherine

Can I just ask you how long it took you to taper down from 45mg to off.? Did you have withdrawal symptoms ?

Did the mirt and ven combo work for you ? It sounds like it did.

• Posted

And my goal...... to be happy, healthy and lose weight. To gain my nursing degree, on the last module now..qualified 33yrs ago!! To have nice holidays... we had to cancel all foreign travel last year as husband had to have heart bypass surgery. Crete x2 booked, Lanzarote looking like a prospect for March! Bring on 2017 glad to see the back of 2016!!
  • Posted

I'm definitely not going to rush off of the medication and will take it slowly and see how it goes. I know that some people need medication there whole life and that there is nothing wrong with that if it works for them.

The main thing that I've learned through this all is that life is just about being happy and that's my ultimate goal!

I wish everyone a great year ahead no matter what your situation may be and I know we'll all be here for each through the bad times when we just need some encouragement. Thank you all for your replies and I wish you all nothing but the best for 2017!

• Posted

Hi Rob. I'm in a similar situation to you, and wish to taper off 225 ven and 15 mirt by spring if possible.

2016 was the worst year of my life, I had a breakdown on Jan after some major business problems.

The meds have helped me, but I'm lazy now and can't be bothered with daily tasks, and I'm still running the business which needs a constant clear mind. This is better than being very depressed, but sometime soon I will need my energy back.

I intend to taper slowly, and go back up a bit if I need to.

Cheers Rodders

• Posted

Hi Rob

I have a similar situation, I also had a terrible year in 2016 after a breakdown in Jan caused by major business problems.

I'm on 225 ven and 15 mirt, and intend to taper off them by spring / early summer.

The meds helped, but I'm lazy now and can't be bothered with simple tasks, and have no get up and go (which is better than being very depressed).

I'm still running my business, which needs my full attention, and I want to get back into excercise and social events. 

I'm hoping that my problem last year will eventually just turn into a bad memory, especially if I can continue to run my business and have a successful 2017.

Good luck for 2017!

Rodders

• Posted

Sorry I didn't mean to post twice, the first one didn't show up so I thought it had gone! (probably the meds messing with my brain...)

• Posted

Good luck to you Rodders in the upcoming year and I hope you have success in your weening off the medications your on and that things get better for you, probably can't get much worse for us than 2016 was..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.