Newbe

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been experiencing facial spasms for a while now.  I have just have had disc replacement in my neck and kinda thought that would eleviate this issue.  To my surprose the NeuroSurgeon told me that it wouldn't.  I have been reading all the threads here on the site.  I just received my first shipment of SPZM and Niacin.  I purchased the Ibuprofen earler.  I see such a difference in the dosage of each of these.  Can someone give me some direction on beginning my process.  Oh and my the way it is really aggravating when the spasms come when I am talking.  I am an Administrative Assistant and talk to people face to face and on the phone all day..  Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How long? Hfs isn't treatable by drugs...if hfs is your diagnosis is. There's only one 'cure' and that's surgery. I'm sure you will shortly get lots of replies. I suffered hfs for nearly 8 years before finally having surgery, which was my cure. The only thing that might help is to mask the facial spasms with Botox injections...if they work for you...they didn't for me. Wish you all the best on your journey with hfs.
  • Posted

Hi LT98062

Good to hear from you. Sorry though to learn that you are experiencing this problem. You don't say whether or not you've had a formal diagnosis of Hemifacial spasm, though it is clear from what you have written that your spasms are involuntary and interfere with your ability to interact "face to face" as you are required to do in your job. As you will know from reading the threads, this is a common story with HFS, and it sounds as though this is what you may indeed have- MRI is a way in which this can be established for sure. As EricaBlair helpfully points out, if you do have HFS, then surgery is the only proven way of curing it. Erica is on the money with her other comments too, and her suggestion that you may get others replying to your query is testiment to the well of understanding and support which is there for folks who are experiencing facial spasming. There are opportunities on facebook also for you to participate in mutally supportive dialogue with those affected by this condition. I think that there are others who are more competent in accessing these groups who may also light the way for you here

Happy new year and here's wishing that 2015 is the year when you feel that you are really moving forward with your responses to this socially debilitating condition.

All the best

Ed

• Posted

Laketha,

I don't know what "process" you are starting with medication, and I don't mean to be rude, but you are wasting your time and money.  See a reputable neurosurgeon, get an MRI, and duscuss surgery with your doctor.  MVD is the only procedure that will alleviate your spasm if you have HFS.  I had the surgery 11 weeks ago and am spasm-free.  Good luck and find a neurosurgeon who specializes in hemi-facial spasm.

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.