Newbie-2 questions-Plaquenil and Aleve

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, just found this forum and would like to see if anyone could answer a few questions. If you don’t want to read the whole post my basic questions are 1. Has anyone else had a reaction to Aleve of mouth sores? 2. Plaquenil- only been on it for 9 days but I have abdominal pain and had an episode of anxiety and shaky feeling and headache. Will these symptoms go away with time?

So a little about me, diagnosed with Palindromic rheum really recently. I had shoulder pain since July and needed surgery for torn rotator cuff. I didn’t have the surgery until Jan so I was taking lots of Aleve. A week before surg I had to stop taking it and suddenly the canker sores on my mouth went away. Unfortunately I also got severe pain in my hips and knees making it really hard to walk. I was quite concerned as I’m usually a really active person and it felt like something was really wrong. Went to dr and found that my CRP was about 28 so I was referred to Rheum dr. I started taking Aleve again recently and now have a mouthful of canker sores so I stopped it. The Dr put me on Plaquenil but I have some side effects I think, abdominal pain, some anxiety and shaky feeling (gone now) and headache. Did anyone else have this, and did it get better with time? 

18 years ago I had similar symptoms, fatigue and joint pain and a dr wanted me to start Plaquenil but I didn’t and moved to a different state and my symptoms went away until now. 

Thank you for reading this post. Connie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Read your post and sorry to hear your suffering so much. Ive had RA for 17 yrs and been on humira injections (self administered) and methotrexate pills. My CRP at its highest was 82 and other levels were high to. I'm looking into taking cannabis oil for pain relief as painlillers im curtently taking are detrimental to weight gain and in pain its hard to eat a lot. Cooking in turmeric or taking turmeric tablets is meant to be good to. I am seriously looking into the hollistic route. Sick of pills. Hard to stay positive but thats also a big part of things. Good luck with everything.

Garry

• Posted

Hi Connie

you need to report all of these to your Dr. Some of theses are serious side effects.

Take care.

• Posted

Yes mouth sore's is a side effect of Aleve, Plaquenil can cause nausa and abdominal pain, get in touch with your Doctor he needs to know about these side effects you are having.

• Posted

Hi Connie, 

?I can't comment on Plaquenil but I am currently taking Naproxen (Aleve?) for sciatica. My psoriatic arthritis is fairly under control at the moment. I find Naproxen very effective but I try to take it for the least time as possible as it's well recognised for being aggressive on the stomach and may be contributing to your abdo pain and mouth ulcers? I always take with Omeprazole to protect my stomach and never on an empty stomach. I too detest taking all these drugs which seem so very toxic. I rue the day I started taking Methotrexate which has affected my lungs even though I understand others take it with no problem. I have also just started taking Turmeric tablets. Some Asian friends of mine kept recommending Turmeric as an anti inflammatory, making tea and all sorts, but I think you need a lot so I've succumbed to tablets! 

?Best wishes, hope you get sorted. I would really suggest discussing these side effects with your doctor. You don't want gastric ulcers on top of everything else! Carol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.