Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just taken first tablet about 30 mins ago and wanted to ask a few questions sorry if they have already been posted previous but I don't really want to read through loads of posts as i will be getting imaginary side effects that I read about as I don't think the side effects will kick in in half an hour but if I read them I'll start imagining them!

Weight Gain - really worried about this is it a general thing with everyone or hit and miss if it effects you?

Alcohol - I'm not a big drinker but I do drink every now and then is this a big no no now?

Sleep - I did read a couple of posts earlier with people having trouble sleeping and getting less sleep I'm a big sleeper anyway and if I don't get enough I normally feel rubbish - are they going to make me feel more tired and will this wear off in the normal couple of week after side effects?

thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Poppy

I didn't read any of the information about citalopram before taking it as i was determined that i needed to do something about my anxiety and depression and knowing anything would have stopped me.

what i can say is that i have been on the drug for 4 months with very few side affects i had a few problems for the first 2 weeks which have now past. Apart from a few weird thoughts and some weight loss i think due to other health problems.

Over the last couple of months my sleep pattern has been close to normal which is a good ten hours at night and a couple of hours in the afternoon. I do have the odd night when sleep doesn't last for more than 4 hours but thats only about once a fortnight.I'm sure thats the tablets as i'm just wide awake with no worries.

I still have the occasional drink and have no problems.

Good luck i hope it works for you.

Lizz

• Posted

Hi Poppy, Just to let you know that, I have put weight on slightly, but I certainly feel heaps better than I did in August. Just give the tablets chance to work, it took about two weeks, then I saw a vast improvement in my wellbeing. I believe the time taken before feeling better varies in people.

I wish you the best of luck

Take care

Granny

• Posted

Thanks for your replies I've already put half a stone on over xmas not sure i could cope if i put any more weight on so fingers crossed i'll come under the lose weight side! Feeling slightly sick but not too bad i'm hoping I can get through the first few weeks without too many side effects. Can you take paracetamol while on these?
  • Posted

Poppy, Paracetamol is not contraindicated with Citalopram so unless you are taking any other drugs that might interact you shouldn't have any problems with it.

If you're unsure though, why not give NHS direct a ring?

Best regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.