Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have just started slimming world and I'm finding it ok through the day but quite hard to stick to a night.

My bmi is 38 would it be easy to get the pills off the doctor, I have lost 6lb in two weeks but feel I could do better with a bit of help as I need more milk than sw will allow me to have.

What do you think my chances are of getting the prescription?

I gave up smoking last year but would never have done so without help from the docs ie patches and tabs.

Help what do I say?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

firstly how much milk does SW allow you to have because orlistat is based on fat, you are limited to 30g fat per day over your 3 meals with no more than 15g in any one meal - overstepping the limits is where the embarrassing side effects come in.

what kind of milk do you have? as milk can be fatty you may find depending on if you have full, semi skimmed, 1% or skimmed that you may not be able to have more on orlistat without cutting out in meals

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply,

I have semi skimmed milk and can have 250ml a day which I usually use with coffee and cereal, I can switch to options which is quite low in fat and calories but with sw uses a good bit of my allowance, I suppose with anything theres just no easy way to do it, and what I really want to know is it something most doctors are happy to give you, and does it really work?

• Posted

if your bmi is over 30 and you have tried alternative ways to loose weight without success then they are likely to give it to you.

to answer the does it work question - yes but you need to stick to it and follow the guidelines on fat intake, exercise regularly where possible. i have lost 2st on these and i consider everything i eat these days and its contents!

• Posted

my post, which is still awaiting authorisation by the mods because I linked to the information page on here about orlistat has lots of info on it so you should really try and read it.

for the milk I have skimmed milk is that a possibility for you to change to? and you need to be aware that it is total fat content when using the tablets not just the saturated fats.

Only thing you can do is pop along to your Dr's and have a chat

• Posted

Thank you for all your advice I will go and see the doc as soon as I can, yes skimmed milk is ok but I really prefer semi, but I will just have to learn to like skimmed.

I have dusted my bike down and pumped the tyres up :lol: so off I go,

I will let you know how I get on

Thanks again

• Posted

You can have semi, you just have to account for it in your fat intake that's all smile
  • Posted

alternatively you can have 1% milk, half the fat of semi skimmed and the taste is not so 'watery' as skimmed.

i have 1% milk and when its in drinks or with cereal i can't taste the difference at all!

• Posted

From the milk bottles I've ready, semi is 1.5% fat per 100, I normally drink the Sainsburys 0.1% which is great too smile However with cereal I actually use Soya Milk, as it's similar to the skimmed, but it still retains the creaminess of either semi or full fat smile And tastes slightly sweet smile Alpro is the one I use, the other one isn't as nice :S

I'd highly reccommend soya milk for cereal, much nicer than regular milk smile

• Posted

Hi there,when I started on the tablets I was doing weight watchers I know SW is different but after a month or so I stopped the WW coz WW is done on a points system i was feeling deprived of certain foods if I was on WW without the tablets I would have been fine, but when I started looking at the fat content on the WW ready meals for example I realised that some were actually quite high in fat and actually not filling. Now I have started doing it the proper way by calcalating the fat content of all I eat and I cant believe how much you can eat in a day,by the end of a day I am really full up and dont normally go over 20gs of fat in a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.