Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 57 yrs old and have a constant itch. It wakes me up in the night most nights. I have had estrogen receptive breast cancer so hormones is out of the question. I need suggestions please and thank you!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hope. There are loads of suggestions and posts on this site for alternative remedies. Good luck.

• Posted

This forum wwill give you lots of ideas. I also had hormone sensitive breast cancer. My oncologist says its ok to use Vagifem as so little gets beyond the vagina. I have had the Mona Lisa Laser treatment which has really helped. Google this is you are not familiar with it. I also use a moisturizer everyday as well as topical estriol which again, according to my Dr. is fine since it stays local. Good luck. You are not alone.
  • Posted

if you don't want to use the things like vagifem or yuvafem because of the hormones I would think the mona lisa treatment might help

• Posted

Hi I am relatively new to these forums and undergoing hormone treatment for atrophic vaginitus but have had to abandon due to the sudden nodules which have appeared under my arm pit and on my legs, sorry to hear of your predicament, i am a great believer in natural therapies and i have been using natural yoghurt (not sure if this is the correct spelling) when I have been at the end of my tether with soreness in the vaginal area, also recommended by my GP it seems to soothe and calm the irritated area with absolutely no side effects. Take care!
    • Posted

Hi Kathryn. That's interesting wgat you said about nodules appearing under armpits after using Vagifem. I have this also but don't use it any longer. I will try natural yoghurt as sometimes I am ok sometimes not. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Carmarie I was devastated when I found the nodules i also found them in my legs after taking vagifem daily for 3 weeks, I stopped taking the medication immediatley,after avoiding HRT at any cost but I was at desperation point with VA it was affecting my quality of life dramatically, i now take natural supplements soya etc drink huge amounts of water vit C etc i do have twinges that the VA is back but coping at the moment not sure what the future holds take care!
  • Posted

I am 57 also. One day I was fine and the next I was down for two weeks. I have not had cancer but I do suffer from fibrocistic disease brought on by hormone therapy. My VA was so severe I agreed to hormone therapy to try and jumpstart the regeneration of vaginal cells. I read this blog for hours gleaning what I could that had given other women success. Vagisil was helpful. It is an over the counter moisturizer. I read that ginseng and flaxseed oil were used orally and had helped some so I began to take a daily dose. I was only able to use oral estrogen for 6weeks and had to stop. But I continued using estrace cream. I wear loose fitting clothing (no underwear) while I am home. My itching has gotten under crontrol better since I do a water rinse after urinating. I became less vigilant and had a reoccurrence of symptoms. have you read about the magnetic dilators? The theory is that the iron in the blood will be drawn to the magnet. It makes sense but I am sure it would take months to regenerate cell life. But I now understand that this will be a lifetime battle (unless God chooses to heal me wink.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.