Newbie Adrenal Insufficiency

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

Until 3 weeks ago id spent 8 yrs with Lyme disease and improved somewhat. I had gastro issues but mostly food allergies.

Come 2020 I had a sudden tummy pain that put me in hospital and low sodium so lost weight and once sorted, I was ok but eventually found to have ulcers and poss Crohns.

I was put on unchecked Budesonide steroid over 1half yrs. I got my first cold in 6 yrs and had mastitis which required strong antibiotics for 4 weeks giving me upset tummy most days..I was also poorly trying to take myself off of Budesonide.

Within days I got dark circles, shakes and felt crap and a GP Cortisol test had me sent to hospital where a response test found low cortisol... I was given Hydrocortison IV and suddenly felt a tad better but got worse.

The endo thinks the supression is due to sudden stopping of Budesonide due to upset tummy whilst taking antibiotics as I was mostly ok before hand. They tapered the dose after 2half weeks to 10mg, 5, 5 and I felt so unwell..sickish, shakes, severe fatigue, cant do anything....it could be the tapering speed since long term Budesonide use may mean I need to be on Hydrocortisone for months of tapering...

I can barely do anything but toddle and live alone so Im back in hospital after 5 days out!

This is all new...my bloods are doing good except cortisol but theyre unsure if the Hydro is supressing it or if it is still naturally low....are there any tests or recommendations from anyone ? I am obviously hoping I will get better in time but the low dose isnt working and Im terrified its Addisons or life long AI.

Thank you all

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.