Newbie and a 1000 questions on my mind about!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi newbie hereagain! just wondering 10th day on pentasa supps 1g when they may begin to work to stop/reduce bleeding?  Found out last nite fizzy drink and a bar of chocolate does not agree with proctitis!!!  No idea when ill be sent appt to see cons at hosp or whatother meds they may try so at the mo only on the supps and paracetamol  [sad]

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Whilst you are flaring up fizzy drinks and chocolate are a definite no-no, as are things with too much insoluble fibre or are likely to irritate your bowel - the pentasa and Asacol metalazine drugs are more effective if you can do as much as you can to reduce the irritation and inflammation as they need to stay in the colon. They won’t do this if you are having diarrhea or loose stools as the pills are timed release for they hit the colon.

You IDB nurse will have a good leaflet on diet but I strongly recommend going to the Crohn’s and Colitis UK website or even just googling diet advice for colitis as diet makes a huge difference when you are flaring up and without changing it whilst you are bleeding and having diarrhea/loose stools you will have a slower remission or even get worse, as I discovered.

Cut out fruits over than peeled Apples and Pears, caffeine, insoluble fibres like bran and roughage, fried food and focus on eating lots of protein with root vegetables, jelly is good, too.

It will only be for a while but it is better than being sick.

• Posted

Hi Many thanks for this will check out the website and take your suggestions on board it's so hard at present coming to terms with it all and dealing with bleeding, pain, bloating etc etc so any advice folk give is always welcome Cheers R 
  • Posted

Elaine gottschall and others have written books on the specific carbohydrate diet in relation to these illnesses. Read up on psyllium husk and psyllium seed especially...they have been lifesaver for me. Sugar in most forms is a no no. Probiotics are useful. Again read up and c what suits urself. Yogurts and yogurt type drinks are usually a no no also. Not the best way to get probiotics when u have ibd.

mary jo

• Posted

cheers for this just ordered gottschall book a bit pricy and will take weeks lol will look the husk n seed too cheers R
  • Posted

Sorry should have said u can pick up enough info re info in the book on Internet to give u necessary information to treat this......Psyllium seeds esp contain a lot of butyric acid which dampens inflammation in colon.. There is a process to all of this which u can find info online esp on forums. They can be bought online at a well known shopping arena. If u need any more info let me no. I'm suffering from uc this 25 years !!! And only last year discovered those 2 things and what a massive difference it has made to my life. Bleeding has totally stopped.  Am not going to say it will do this for everyone but it has for me. Good luck in ur quest for relief .

Mary Jo

• Posted

Aw thxs Mary Jo lol wish I'd know that before forking out £27 for her book lol thxs for info biggrin
  • Posted

If u got it through that well known shopping place u could still possibly cancel it...it's the weekend and u can sometimes go back in or email them and cancel it.
  • Posted

Ah well ! At least there is plenty reading and u useful info !

MJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.