Newbie dealing with fibroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, this is all pretty new to me and I see that their are people with what seem like way worse issues then me. But for a few months maybe since Dec-Jan I started having a constant pain in my side that felt like it was coming from inside of my vagina most times it's like a dual nagging pain/ discomfort other times it's more of a painful sharp pain that seems to go down my butt and leg.. End of Jan mentioned to my OB she pretty much dismissed me.. Then had my annual with reg Dr and she sent me for an U/S after which she told me it came back fine. The pain continued in April I went back to the OB a different one because mine left the practice. I told him about my issues and he did a pelvic exam while I guided him to where my pain was coming from and when he got to the spot we both were like that's it he told me thought it was a fibroid and asked if anything came up on the US I had had and I said I was told no. So he requested the results which did say I had a couple degenerating fibroids I think was the term and my uterus was measuring about 12.5 cm. I'm also having anemia issue which have improved since starting iron my periods have recently gotten off schedule and they've been pretty heavy the first couple days for a few years..Where I change tampons every 20ish minutes or so..but I also don't bleed between cycles Anyway he did order another U/S and everything seems the same as first one. My question is the fibroids are measuring about 1.5cm which from what I'm reading is small. What I don't understand is why is it hurting so much? Is that normal? Seems like most people having issues have a lot more and a lot bigger ones? Do you think there's a chance there's something else going on? I've pretty much been tested for everything. I'm supposed to start BC this Sunday to see if that helps. But I'm just confused can something so small be causing so much discomfort? If you made it this far thank you and I'd appreciate any input because I feel like I'm going crazy. I haven't even had sex in MONTHS because I'm kind of scared it will make it hurt more..

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

The size of the fibroid can cause symptoms such as pain and heavy bleeding, but the type and position of the fibroid can also cause these symptoms as well. For example, if you have a submucosal fibroid that is pushing into your uterine cavity making contact with your endometrium, it can cause heavy bleeding and pain. Or, if you have a pedonculated submucosal fibroid, it can cause heavy bleeding and pain.

The size of your uterus seems large for such small fibroids. I had a large fibroid of 9.2cm and a uterus that measured at 8x8x7.8 and was told my uterus was large. Did the doctor mention Adenomyosis? This condition can cause an enlarged uterus, heavy bleeding, and cramping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.