newbie diabetic...help needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

hey ppl

spent the last week or so reading the topics here before i started the blueies. Today being my first day on them.

so far so good with the diet as i started on the whole 15g fat/meal about 2 weeks ago just in preperation. I have a massive 5 stones to lose, so fingers crossed the hard work will pay off.

i wanted to know if there were any other diabetics out there who are using orlistat and if there is, has anyone got any tips or food advice?

my diet consists of:

Brekkie: 2 slices of brown bread and bertolli spread (less than a table spoon on each slice) and a mug of tea(no sugar)

lunch: salad with either tuna, a small amount of ham, some grilled chicken and a low fat dressing.

evening meal: lentils and bread or pasta or same as lunch.

i tend to eat about 4/5 pieces of fruit a day, sometimes either 8/10 walnuts/almonds and drink about 5/6 pints of water or sugar free cordial (ie robinsons)

advice?

any help is appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am also diabetic, diagnosed back in February. As long as you include either pasta, bread, rice or cereal at each meal you should be fine. Just ensure your fat is 5g per 100g and your sugar is 8g or less you should be fine.

My day consists of,

mini shredded wheat and milk for breakfast.

If I am going out for the day and know I cannot have anything mid morning I have 2 slices of Warburtons Weight Watchers toast

Usually have some frozen mixed berries (Sainsburys do some great bags for £1), thawed with either sugar free jelly or yoghurt. Mid morning if I am peckish.

Lunch will be either a ham sandwich with laughing cow extra light cheese spread and salad and the fruit if I did not have it earlier.

Tea usually chicken or Quorn with either veg, boiled or baked potato, or rice or pasta.

Fruit and either yoghurt or jelly.

Then to keep my sugar levels up over night I have rice krispies and milk for supper.

Have been on the tabs for 6 weeks now and have lost 16 lbs. Slowed down this week not sure if that is due to the fact I have cut out the nuts to make meals upto 10g fat. Nurse says to many nuts will increase cholestrol. Mine is at 3 at the moment so don't want to increase if I can help it.

My daily calories are about 1500 and fat around 20g per day.

Good luck and if you still eat sensible you should be OK.

Mandy

• Posted

thats great. thanks for the advice.

is it true that you should aim to eat 15g fat/meal for the tabs to be effective? as at the moment i feel i dont hit that for brekkie or lunch?

thanks again. :lol:

• Posted

According to the packaging they say no more than 15g per meal so you do not get the side effects. On the forum some say, as did my nurse, as low fat as possible, some say 25 to 30g per day. Can only say I am as confused have tried both ways. I used to up my intake of fat with nuts, but according to the nurse this may increase your cholestrol and as you know with diabetes we have to keep this as low as possible. This week I am not having nuts and my fat intake is about 20g per day so will see how it goes. Good luck anyway.

Mandy

• Posted

Hi there

I'm diabetic too. Good luck with it. As we all know, the more we lose, the better it is for our diabetes (although I can't really say anything as been diabetic for 8 years and haven't managed to lose any!!!).

How are you all coping with hypos? Are any of you Type 1 and on loads of insuling like me? I'm getting lots of hypos and having to guzzle gallons of lucozade, then eat something so playing havoc with calorie intake. Any ideas?

First official weigh in tomorrow. Feeling nervous. Think I've lost about 6lb (not good in 3 weeks I think sad )

Keep losing all x x x

• Posted

hi

major major problems with hypos. been on the bluies for 2 weeks now, and on average ive hypo'd twice a day, sometimes more. finally looks like its settleing though, although now in 2 weeks im down 50% on my insulin intake, which my nurse is over the moon with. im a little worried but hopefully it will be all good.

what ive been doing when hypoing is eating 2 digestive biscuits for instant relief and then 2 slice of brown toast for long relief. works a treat, i know its not very quick to sort the hypo out but does work well.

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about the hypos. I was told if I have one to have 3=4 fruit pastels. Apparently its the sugar coating which helps. They give me indigestion so I have fruit jellies. Then follow up with biscuit or bread. I now always have at least one to two jellies when I go to bed and that keeps me going over night.

Good luck with the weight loss.

Mandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.