Newbie - Docs offered Orlistat - but on slimming world. Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wonder if anyone can advise. My weight has always went up and down - at 5 foot 7 - I am currently 16 stone. I have lost 7 pounds on SW in arund 5 weeks. And some how not put it back on over xmas.

In the past I was usually 14 -15 stone and got down to 11-12 on slimming world and gym combined. Since getting married in 2007 its piled on and more.

Today the doctor has offeredme this slimming tablet and I am not sure what to do. Mainly due to the side effects - but I understand if ate low fat less of an issue. However if I continue with normal SW diet will that be low enough fat:

Example day

Special K - semi skinned milk

J potato and beans or lunch

low fat meat and stirfry for dinner, or pasta and vegetable sauce with tomatoes etc.

Because I am not used to knwoing the fat content etc of foods, I just know what is OK on free foods for SW - I am worried this will confuse me and maybe not worth it.??? Any advice?

Also - I have around 5 stone to lose - if losing 1 pound at least a week now on SW and gym, will it increase by using these tablets?????

Thanks for any help !

Claire

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My Dr prescribed mine also been on them since the 1st, am going to make an appt with the nurse to get diet plan when the weather allows and discuss the whole management thing of them. Maybe you should ask to see someone at your Dr's that will help you manage your diet when you are on orlistat.
  • Posted

Hi Suza,

Hope its going well for you!

I sat and thought about them last night - and may be worthwhile giving them a few weeks trial to see if effect me etc. I am just really put off by the sounds of the side effects, and if it may only help me lose a few extra pounds over a couple of months for example, it won't be worth it to me. If it could mean loosing me an extra pounds a week than currently do - then it is. Its difficult!!!!

Worried though - how log negative side effects can last - ie if take them and decide not worth it as horrible effects, how long would it take for me to get my body back lol>>> A day, days, weeks? Seeing as you have to take a pill a meal, it can't have that logn standng effects.

C

• Posted

well on my 7th day today and things have settled down, did get orange/oil tuesday but then hadn't been toilet since the 1st so just took it as body getting used to things. nothing drastic no running desperately to the loo just increased wind especially when going and as said orange/oil, which being graphic looked like I had had a chilli :oops: .

As Sparkles points out if you keep within the recommended fat amount you wont get the toilet problems so it really is down to making sure you read the fat for each thing you eat.

Good luck keep in touch

• Posted

HI - Keep on at it.

I've rang the doc and am going to try it - even if for 4 weeks and see how I do wth the slimming world plus gym at same time.

The only thing I am not sure about - is like making spag bol - the SW version. So use lean mince etc. But looked at the label today to check and it says 11g of fat per 100g of mince. So if I had half the pack its like 30g!!!!!!!!!! And from looking on here I see 30 ish is max for day and each meal no more than 15g!

So does this mean lean mince is a no no for when taking the tablets??

Do you think its OK to if you were going to have it one da and didn't want the horrible effect.... to not take the tablet with that 1 meal..... As a one off type of thing....

Gosh - not sure. Thought lean mince was fine seeing as SW OK's it..

• Posted

hi, i make bolognaise and manage to keep it low fat, i use:

sainsburys extra lean beef mince (its about 5g per 100g mince, this is a large pack so i make a big batch of bolognaise and freeze portions, i tend to make about 6-8 portions)

along with the mince i use:

2 tins of chopped tomatoes

tomatoe puree

garlic

mixed herbs

mushrooms - fried in low fat spray

peas

sweetcorn

i personally dont eat onions or peppers but you can add those in as they're not fatty.

i use the bolognaise on pasta, jacket potatos, use it to make shepherds pie etc.

• Posted

Thanks Sparkles!

Ive been getting the lean one - i remember now I have had the extra lean one before - maybe its sainsbury BGTY - Ill check when next shopping!!!

Yep I add onion, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, fresh tomatoes, passata etc - but will check this as not sure fat in the jars - know they are ok on SW but going to give this a real shot.

Ive checked my low fat super noodles and they are fine for fat, etc - my prob will be the cheese - always use low fat - but cheese is my issue not chocolate or sweet things.

Do you think missing a tablet if went overboard on the cheese 1 meal would be ok in terms of preventing the toilet issues, (obviously you would absorb all the fat) - this maybe how I will cope if it is - maybe 6 out of 7 days do them correct, and maybe 1 night have my cheese. May be trial and error and see if helps loose weight for 2 weeks or so, and if not do it full wack...

I think I will have to join this forum properly as have a feeling I will be needing advise from day 1 lol

x

• Posted

personally i would advise avoiding cheese other than extra light cheese spread triangles/philedelphia type cheese, even with the low fat hard cheese its quite high and if you start dropping a tablet here n there in the beginning it might be harder to stick to, one night off a week might go to 2, or a lunch here n there - thats only my opinion tho. i have an issue with chocolate like u do with cheese and i would love to sink my teeth into a bar of cadburys dairy milk but instead opt for the weight watchers chocolate deserts.

the mince i was refering to was sainsburys BGTY range smile

• Posted

Morning All,

First day taking the tablets today - decided to get any naughty thoughts out of head yesterday so had my few glasses of wine and some baked wedges. Now ready to go.

Have planned my meals for today - had my special k and semi s milk (around 4g of fat I think), at lunch will have super noodles (low fat chicken) or a pastsnsauce - and then for tea got the extra lean mince - and will either make into meat balls and own fat free tomoatoe sauce etc - or bolognaise. Already use the spraylight oil sprays - have for years so thats fine.

I am going to have to look up things like chicken as have no idea of fat value - realise skin will come off. Also salmon - love salmon and on SW you can have as much as you like - whereas I know its an oily fish so will be higher in fat - may have to look at what amount can have.

Although I think you don't need to take tablets if meal is less than 3g of fat - Im not sure whether to take one at lunch anyway - to get in the habit.....

Hoping for few side effects an going to really give it a go - got a holiday booked in April and am bridesmaid to my best friend in May an want to lose as much as can for then. I have lost 7 already but only around 1-2 pounds a week it works out as. So hopefully with these tablets helping should be able to lose more than 2 a week - if don't - it will mean theres not much point me taking them - but Ive got my fingers crossed and hope I can have even some of the success so many of you are having!

X

• Posted

is Special K really that fatty ?? I get the Sainsburys BGTY ones and they are only 1.3g per 100 I know you have to add in the milk, I use skimmed milk which is 0.3 per 100, so can't see it getting up to 4g ?? or maybe I am completely reading all these numbers wrong.
  • Posted

I just used the 250ml content on the semi skimmed mile I have - I from memory think it was 3. something... Then plus the special k which was hardly anything. So just thought it best to round up.

I don't use the 250ml on the cereal alone - I have reallllllllly milky tea - and also allows me some during the day for tea.

Just took my second of the day and had some left over mash potator reheated (sad I know but love it) but tiny bit of milk and scraping of low fat marg. So I would say so far used around 6-7g of fat - i think. Know I should maybe weigh the marg etc so acurate but would rather overestimate.

PS - didn't realise how big the blues wuld be lol - as its only the pill I take normally everyday - these seem big compared lol.

How have u been doing over the weekend Suza?

• Posted

ahh, yes I round up as well, as for the milk I think I may start to have my coffee black as seeming to have increased my tea and coffee intake, don't suppose the skimmed milk will be that much over the day but think black coffee also acts as a diuretic. (?)

not to bad I think over the weekend, am having cereal for breakfast, Special K, Weetabix or Shreddies with skimmed milk.

Then bagel with extra light cheese spread, hoping if I looked at these correctly the bagel works out at 1.7g and the spread 0.6g with an apple and salad or instead of cheese spread having tuna.

Then having cooked meal either chicken based (had a home made curry last night hoping that's not going to bite smile ) or a packet of flavoured rice (2g)with bread (x 2 @ 0.8g each). Followed by fruit salad or low fat fruit bar.

If anyone reading things am doing things wrong please please let me know.

• Posted

[quote:f1075b07c2=\"Suza\"]well on my 7th day today and things have settled down, did get orange/oil tuesday but then hadn't been toilet since the 1st so just took it as body getting used to things. nothing drastic no running desperately to the loo just increased wind especially when going and as said orange/oil, which being graphic looked like I had had a chilli :oops: .

As Sparkles points out if you keep within the recommended fat amount you wont get the toilet problems so it really is down to making sure you read the fat for each thing you eat.

Good luck keep in touch[/quote:f1075b07c2]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.