Newbie going in for surgery on Monday, any advice?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just found this board and have been reading previous posts for a while, it's so interesting to read your experiences - both good and bad - so that I can prepare myself.

I'm having an anterior and posterior vaginal repair and a TVT-O to hopefully sort out stress incontinence.  I'm 40 and have had these lovely issues since giving birth 2 years ago to my third child. 

I'd really like to know if there's anything I should think of taking in my case.  I'd bought some pyjamas and was then told I'd need a nightie because of the catheter....what did you wish someone had advised you to take?

Secondly,I know everyone is different, but what I'd like to know is how early you felt comfortable going out after the op? 

My surgery was supposed to be last Friday so I wasn't too worried about things we'd booked for 4 weeks post surgery.  Now I'm faced with going out just a fortnight after surgery (to see a singer an hours drive away) and a comedian (about half an hour away).  I'm thinking realistically how comfortable I'll be being in a car, if I have to queue at all, toilet trips, etc...after reading posts on this board I think I'm being a little optimistic, even though I'd just be sitting?

I've also got a holiday booked (it's been booked before I got my surgery date).  I'm supposed to be going to Egypt with my 2 oldest (13 and 10) 6 and a half weeks after surgery.  It's all paid for, so I can only hope that I'm well enough to lay on a beach for a week and let the kids wheel the suitcases, but it may be wishful thinking. 

Also, as I've got an active 2 year old I wondered if any of the other mums on here with little ones have any advice on how to protect yourself against knocks etc - I know I can't lift him etc, but if he wants to cuddle up with me on a night time, am I best off resting a cushion on me so he doesn't catch me?  Any advice gratefully received.

As it's been a really long 2 years trying to cope with this, and then asking for surgery, I know it's not going to be plain sailing - any general advice for a newbie would be really appreciated, thankyou.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Country Bumpkin, good luck with your upcoming surgery I hope all goes well for you, and like everyone else has said just make sure you rest and get lots of help! I had an anterior repair ane SPARC bladder lift. Personally I would ask your consultants advice about flying so soon after surgery, you maybe a quick healer and have no complications but this is major surgery and it really takes it out of you, like all the other ladies I tired really easily!

Also I'm really not sure you are going to find it comfortable to sit & through a gig so soon after surgery,  again just see how you go. 

Good luck and wishing you speedy healing! 

• Posted

Wow, thankyou so much for all your replies - I was only expecting a couple, what a lovely bunch you are!

I'm surprised to read that there's no heavy lifting from now on - I naively assumed that once I'd healed completely that I could return to 'normal'...having a 2 year old I just thought I was having some time off from lifting him, seems like I'll have a lot of logistical problems to overcome.  Thanks for your honest views, it's really appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.