Newbie... help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I am starting my tablets tomorrow, just need something cleared up first, if anyone can help.

My doctor has stated that i must stick to products with 5g or less per 100g of the actual product. Is this just fat on a whole or saturated fat? it seems quite low for it just to be fat, nearly cancels out all of the products in my fridge.

thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've just taken it as fat as a whole. most things I have found break it down for you, like bread does it by slice, ryvita's by slice, baked beans per 1/2 tin etc
  • Posted

its less than 5% total fat per 100g cooked if thats what you are following, my doc didn't advise me to do this and even tho as a whole most of my foods are less than 5% i just make sure my days intake is 30g or less and no one meal exceeds 15g.

you will find that you will need to replace a lot of goods in your house and purchase lower fat alternatives, invest some time at your local supermarket(s) and see what they offer in their low fat ranges. you will find that there is plenty you can actually eat, you just have to do your research and find it! give it a couple of weeks and you'll know exactly what uoi can and cant have!

• Posted

thats great advise thanks

my doctor did advise that i should only look for the fat content per 100g and ignore the breakdown e.g per slice

although surly things like eggs which have approx 11g of fat per 100g, you need to work out individually

• Posted

the medium eggs we have at home are 5.7g fat each approx, i think the large are 7.3g approx - the info was inside the lid on the batch we got smile the fat is in the egg yolk so to make more of an egg product i.e ommellette, scrambled egg use the white of another egg - scrap the yolk
  • Posted

It's total fat - although your body cares about good and bad fat, Orlistat only cares about fat in general. %s are sensible to follow for a good weight loss diet in the background, but as far as the Orlistat is concerned you need to keep under 30g of any fat a day and no more than 15g in any single meal. Sounds fiddly to start with but after a week or so of looking up and adding up, you have all the basic info you need to stick to the 1200-1400 cals and 30g of fat most of us have found to work well.

It really is worth the effort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.