Newbie here. My Husband has diverticulitis but i am concerned that it something more sinister.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.

my husband has had several bouts of Diverticulitis which antibiotics seem to help. over the last 6 weeks he has been on very strong antibiotics and a steroid.

He is complaining of bad pain under his rib on the left hand side which really concerns me.

His doctor has referred him for an ultrasound scan and colonoscopy but living in Ireland this can take ages to happen. he refuses to go to A&E. i think he is afraid of what the results might show.

I am going out of my mind with worry and have not slept in weeks.

Could any one here tell me if they suffer from rib pain die to Diverticulitis.

He is 50 years old with Asthma, arthritis in back and neck, severe sleep apnea (waiting on delivery of Cpac machine) and Diverticulitis.

Any help or advice will be so appreciated

Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My wife is suffering terribly at this moment - so for me questions i ask is

When did this pain start- at a particular time or event ?

Did this pain come at the time of the flare up ?

Is this pain constant ? - Consistent suggest not Divertic

Does this pain change or get worse/better at certain times/events ie eating

Diet all the usual here, bland is best, food diary and maybe any windease tablets may help

I am no doctor the scan is the next steps for sure - if you can afford it privately it will be done in days.

Like you witnessing this feeling helpless is a killer-

if this does subside quickly then A&E maybe the only choice

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Kevin.

i am sorry that your wife is suffering with this awful illness. it is indeed horrible to see your loved one in pain.

his pain on the lower left side is all ways there for several months but he only mentions it when the pain increases.

the rib pain happened about 6 weeks ago. he had my very giddy grandson on his knee for best part of 4 hours on a flight and thought that he must have kicked him and that what was causing the pain. my hubby is a very well built man so i thought this strange.

From reading other forum posts today I have learnt that rib pain is very common but it also could be pancreatic problems.

he has a letter from doctor to go to A&E but won't go so it looks like I will have to argue with him to go.

I have given him lots of probiotics but I cant figure out if he should be eating more brown breads/pasta. any advice?????

Thank you.

• Posted

lower left side pain is common

The Rib- Easy to say is don't assume the worst - it could be a simple Cartilage Strain- Get the scan done -

A&E do not reinforce the bad behaviour vicious cycle 😃

Doctor says go, he is in pain if he does not go- no sympathy- bully him it is not just affecting him, or yourself

Food: a dietician will help you but there is a whole load of detail available on google

My wife now eats fibre after the inflamation has gone down

right now bland food is the awnser and keep a food diary

Avoids: Mushrooms, Coconut, Peaches, Booze, Lentil

Some people use CBD oil and Slippery Elm my wife has not tried it but it may work for you

k

• Posted

Just seen this it may help eat little and often, no large meals, soups are good and plain biscuits, avoid oats, brown bread, gassy veg, chocolate, cake, fizzy drinks fatty foods. Try plenty of water or 'de caffe tea/coffee which really helped me.

Also mentions the Keto Diet maybe of help Good luck

• Posted

kevin, he was eating a lot of porridge but as now turned to corn flakes. He is not a veg lover but lives his grapes. i persume grapes with the skin on would not help.

• Posted

Thanks Kevin. he is the worst person for taking advice which rely makes me mad. its awful to see him struggling and i understand it is very hard to make a drastic change to his diet but needs must.

i even suggested for him to chew is food more and that nobody is going to take it of his plate 😯

He promised me he will go to A&E tomorrow.

Definitely going to get him the CBD oil to see will it help.

• Posted

No Grapes - bland as you can get it, ie clear soups, leave the porridge - look for a diet book or ask for a dietician refferal

• Posted

Progress I suppose- i would push A&E today there are usually more resources about 😃

It is all about breaking the cycle so keep being pushy - and limit the sympathy 😃

Good luck

• Posted

Yes it can be serious. He has to follow a bland diet. There are several websites that will give you an idea of what's acceptable. I can tell you from the get go, no red meat, brown bread,fried foods, or spicy foods. Rule of thumb is canned, baked, broiled or boiled. No fresh fruit or vegetables. It's hard but will and can save his life. This disease is nothing to be ignored. I too had several attacks in less than 18 months. All could've been prevented if the doctors in the ER had done more testing. They would've done the surgery then, then when I had my colonoscopy if the doctor had just gone a couple of inches further he would've found extensive scarring and blockage plus holes in my colon. Each time you have an attack it causes more damage to the colon.

• Posted

Thank you Glenda

this is very helpful. it sounds like you have been through the mill. He eats a lot of red meat so will cut this out straight away. he was told to eat lits of fibre but my instinct says not. i hope you recover soon. Thank you.

• Posted

Easy on the fiber. I would cook ground beef but would break it up with chicken broth, then cook it. That way it was small, easier to digest. Bone marrow broth (chicken or beef) is chock full of vitamins and nutrients, especially during an attack. You can add carrots , potatoes (no skin), squash. I was also told to stay away from tomatoes (anything with seeds and skin), nuts, corn/hominy, he can have potatoes but no skin. Grapes are the worst to give him.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your husband has this awful condition I myself have been hospitalised twice I was only diagnosed last Feb since then I had my last attack last week ended in hospital again no red meat when it's flaring up its bland diet of white bread pasta broth chicken no nuts no raw frit or veg the mayo clinic diet will help u understand it I find porraige helps me with regular trip to loo Cox every attack damages colon more get him to A&E soon tell tham he has diverticulitis u will be seen to fast. Hope he gets sorted soo. Amanda from Dublin

• Posted

Awful Condition I feel for you all

I thought a bit of positive news

After 9 months of hell, my wife finally left the house for 3 hours and we had a small meal with no stress or flare up

it is all the same approach- bland food, no booze, and rest

She is now down to 3 pills a day

Trouble with the serious flare ups the drugs kick the hell out of the immune system unfortunatlely the only cure is bland food, and rest

Good luck all you deserve it

• Posted

look into liquid vitamins. unfortunately the "diet"does little for the immune system. I found a very good powerful liquid vitamin but am not allowed to give the name on this blog which helped immensely with my immune system. I know what she's going through and wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.