Newbie - looking for advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, I've been given a prescription for Orlistat this morning but I'm a little worried about starting them. Firstly, I'm on my period and I get pretty bad cramps and stomach issues with that anyway and secondly have guests staying this weekend and we only have one bathroom! Reading the side effects I might experience would you recommend waiting til next week to start on the tablets??

Also - is anyone concerned about the liver damage reports?

Thanks!

smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was given mine 2 days before my birthday last year. I chose to wait as I really do like birthday cake :roll:

I would start on a Monday and take it from there. I had bad side effects to begin with but others report none. I think it depends on how bad your diet was to begin with and how fast your matabalism is.

I think my problem was having fat in my sistem and it was being flushed out. Even then it was about 10 days after I started them.

Good luck - try and cut back slightly if you can before you start.

• Posted

give yourself a few days of being on a low fat diet before you start taking the tablets as this will stop you having side effects from fat left in your system and also gives you a couple of days to get used to the regime of no more than 30g's of full fat a day before you take the tablets and possibly have some accidents
  • Posted

Thanks guys, my diet is pretty healthy but my metabolism is slow so I think I'll be a case of flushing out fat too so will hold off til Monday! Thanks again for the advice :D
  • Posted

if you happen to eat 'badly' whilst away at the weekend postpone starting the tablets by a few days, ideally you should eat a low fat diet a few days before starting, that way you have less risk of the tablets acting on left over fat in the system smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.