NEWBIE ORLISTAT ANY ADVICE MOST GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED, I was hoping that somebody might have some tips

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started Orlistat last thursday 3 days ago,have lost 5lbs in three days but have several stones to go, i overate this morning only with low fat stuff and experienced stomach muscle spasms earlier today, can anyone tell me how many cals i shud eat and what foods are best and also am i allowed a tiny freddo bar a day ?? I am following slimming world diet is that suitable for Orlistat, i am determined, most frateful for help of any sort xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't know....frateful sounds like a good word to me.

Orilstat is marketed OTC in UK and USA but is recommended for use under the supervision of someone who knows what they're doing or as they say....a health care provider. Or are you going solo?. Not a wise move unless you are familiar with it and are aware of the draw backs with taking what is essentially statins.

My advice is see a doctor and follow his advice.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

• Posted

Hi Annemarie,

If you are with Slimming World I would ask their advice personally. If I remember correctly Orlistat removes fat from what you eat, which changes to an orange fatty liquid in stools. But as for what you can take, I would assume this would differ from person to person, based on their BMI.

I am not an expert on this, but my wife used it, quite a long time ago now, I did ask her about stomach muscle spasms, but she cannot remember, it was along time ago.

I would check with your Slimming World advisor first..

Regards,

Les.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thank u so much for replying i am not going to take any more Orlistat today and start afresh tomorow, I think what i did Les was eat too big a portion albeit healthy foods but i am just going to stick to a smaller portion and also i hadnt drunk enough fluid so it might have had more of an effect on me, i am determined to lose the weight just for the health reasons, i was thinking if the Orlistat strips out vitamins from your system and i was thinking lack of vitamin b6 might cause spasms, it wasnt bad just i knew id done something wrong, many thanks, i have given up all fizzy drinks aswell and im trying so hard to keep motivated, feeling a bit of a newbie at sea with it lol 😊😊😊
    • Posted

Hi Annemarie,

Trouble is these days there are so many pills available on the market, all saying you lose this much in such a time. It is not the actual truth that they state.

Everyone of us is different. BMI is not accurate, and this has been proved recently. The first weight you lose is mostly liquids, hence it seems you lost a lot, this happens on all diets, and even people that have been on diets will tell you the same. But at least it is a start, but what you find is that you weigh more during monthly periods (this is normal).

Fizzy drinks are full of sugar, but you have to read the ingredients because of the way fluids are worded. If the word "Zero" is on the drink, then look for "Hydrogenated Fats", and look up the meaning, you find out straight away it is bad for your system.

I used to drink Coke, after awhile it used to cause stomach pains, I also tried Pepsi, again basically the same thing happened. Then I stopped drinking anything with "caffeine" in, you would be surprised by just how many products have caffeine in them. Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Coffee, Tea, and that does not leave much to drink apart from water. These days I tend to drink squash or water (I'm not keen on water though).

Then there's sugar and more so, how much in a product. Firstly, you add the sugar in the product, then you'll also find on some products "carbohydrates (of which sugars)" this is usually quite a high figure. In most cases it is more than just normal sugar.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.