Newbie to the Forum

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have a question. I have read on this forum about how to obtain free prescriptions..." If You have Hypothyroidism, You are entitled to Free Prescriptions. This is for all of your medicines, whether related to the Hypothyroidism or not. Ask Your GP surgery..?...for a form to fill in ( Form FP92A)...to claim this Benefit. Has anyone here applied for these Free Prescription Benefits..?.....Are GP doctors Familiar with these forms or does my Endocrinologist have to help me.? How long does it take to process this form. Also, are pharmacists familiar withis particular form ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa, welcome to the site.

I was first diagnosed with Hypothyroidism around 20 years ago and the surgery supplied me with the necessary form.  I seemed to recall that I had to complete it and send off to the NHS (can't remember where I'm afraid) They sent me back a card which I kept in my wallet to prove that I was exempt from prescription charges.  If I remember rightly, it was valid for 5 years and I had to renew it when necessary.  It did cover all prescriptions, not just those related to the Hypothyroidism, although this may have changed now.  I just ticked the appropriate box on the back of the prescription and was never asked by a pharmacists, to see the card.

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Yes you will get ALL ur prescriptions free once you send back the completted form. Ask ur gp as they have to fill part off it and sign it. Only takes about a couple of weeks then you will get a card so you can show chemist. Hope this helps. PX
    • Posted

Oh crumbs Lisa, I have no idea I'm afraid, I hope someone on here can answer your question.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.