Newbie with extras

Posted , 4 users are following.

So my dr placed me on 10 mg of generic Prozac today to take only around my monthly cycle. I have severe depression, anxiety and panic disorder, ADD and recently diagnosed with Tardive Dykanesia. I'm already taking Cymbalta, Valium, vyvance, thyroid hormone and ingrezza. I'm severely med out!!! I'm sick of all these meds, not getting relief and suffering from TD now due to Rezulti and Abilify. Any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't know if I should get off all these meds, find a new dr or what! I just want to feel better again.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You can't take Prozac occasionally (just around your monthly cycle). Once starting them you cannot miss any as you'll feel quite ill. They're not like pain killers or other meds where you can dip in and out of.

They're a medicine that builds up in your body and needs to be taken continuously, once started. They're a good meds but can be quite tough at first. When you need to stop them you have to withdraw slowly over many months, not just stopping abruptly - hence why I say these cannot be taken ocassuinally.

K xx

• Posted

Don't know why my post is being moderated as there were no links, swear words or anything unusual ... unless my phone typed some 'predictive' weird word and I hadn't noticed.

• Posted

Are you on the birth control pill?

I can not see how prozac is going to help by only taking it around your monthly cycle. It takes a long time to build in your system and then by the time you skip it for so many weeks it needs to build up again.

• Posted

I was on Prozac off and on for 30 years and I can tell you from my experience that taking Prozac just a week or two each month will probably be a waste of time. You will just experience side effects every time you take it and stop taking it. That medication like so many other serotonin reuptake inhibitors takes about two months to actually start helping at all. You sure are on a lot of medication and I also was until April of this year when I went to a detox facility to get off of it and I feel so much better since I did. It was not an easy process and I still experience a few withdrawal symptoms because of the length of time I was on Prozac. I do wish you the best of luck.
  • Posted

I made it two days on the generic Prozac. I couldn't stand how I was feeling. I understand that medications take time to work but I need to be able to function. I honestly think I'm on too much medication and need to look for a new dr. Thank you all for your input!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.