Newbie with increasing symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PA about 8 years ago afer suffering swollen joints on and off for about 4 years prior to that with no symptoms of psoriasis.I then had an occurence of nail pitting which gave me a diagnosis. I have tried all meds but without success. Recently I have had yttrium injections to my knees which has stopped the swelling but now I am no longer having regular steroid injections I have started with lots of other issues. Some skin psoriasis, especially in my groin area, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendinitis, swolllen eyelids and fatigue. I am waiting to see my consultant again but would be interested to hear from anyone with a similar history of PA first and experience of any medication that has worked.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elliejay

Im sorry I cant help with medication as I havent been put on any.  I had psoriasis briefly on elbows in my 20's (nothing since) and then in my 50's started suffering joint pains it was only when I complained to the consultant about achilles tendonitis that they asked me about any history of psoriasis and this they said explained the odd blood results they had been getting - up until then they had been treating me for osteo arthritis.  Once the diagnosis was made I was discharged and told to go back if I needed any further injections in my knees.  Since then I have developed further symtoms in shoulders, hands and also plantar fascitis as well as both knees and recently hips. Walking is becoming increasingly difficult -  I havent gone back - but reading this forum wonder if I should.

• Posted

Definitely should return. I'm surprised you haven't already had a diagnosis of PA. Good luck, I hope they find some meds to help 
  • Posted

Hi Elliejay, I have had PA since ~ 2002.  I tried approximatley 8 different meds which did not work well.  Finally I tried Enbrel which is an injectible biologic.  It is super expensive but worked completely for me.

• Posted

Thanks Justin. I have been offered the chance of biologics but have resisted because I haven't thought things were bad enough until now. Also concerned about giving injection and possible side effects
    • Posted

The list of possible side effects is rather long, though I have not experienced any of them after ~7 years. Giving the injection is easy after the first few. Mine is once per week.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information. I will certainly consider biologics. I'm going to try myofascial treatment first.
    • Posted

Update after seeing my consultant. They have offered Enbrel and I'm currently undergoing all the screening tests to see if I qualify. Having put it off for so long I now hope that I do get Enbrel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.