Newbie with questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys

I was born without a thyroid and have been taking 175mg of levothyroxine for i reckon about 10 years now, (im 27). Over the last year i've started to notice that i've lost a lot of hair, I can't concentrate and over the last 6 months i can't stop itching. I also had a few months last year where i was getting heart palpatations. 

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for me? I've been thinking maybe i should change my medication and have been reading a lot of articles about pills that combine both t4 and t3. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. 

I've got a blood test booked for next week and then a doctors appointment next month so hopefully get it sorted i just wanted to know a bit more about the t4 t3 pills to see if maybe I should go on those.

Thanks a lot 

Carly :-)

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should read up on line regards, problems Eltroxin, the brand holder which is Mercury Pharma (AMco) they mention changing the prescription and or production problems, they mention other drug companies are with same problems.

Its a very difficult drug to produce I understand,,,, and the carrier for active ingredient can effect all,,,, you are not alone,,,, cud b u r to high ,,,, cud b because if the carrier has changed more absorption is taking place and a monitored reduction needs to take place,, NOTE,, monitored by doc and blood tests.

U may need to take some evidence of this to your doc, to be helpful for him/her.

• Posted

Thank you for replying to me! 

I will deffo have a read up tonight. I've not really had any problems in the past it's just been the last year. I know it might sound stupid but over the last year i've joined a gym and go 4 times a week i've also changed my diet do you think this could have made it all change?

Thanks again :-)

• Posted

Yeah the hair loss prob been about a year i don't know if it's the winter weather as well. Hopefully i will find out when i see the doctor!

Carly :-)

• Posted

I dont think your suggestion could be dismissed, but its by the way really. see the doc and get a test, also look at your history TSH levels at the docs and see where your at your best, make a note, and even then its not written in stone that its the marker, but looking for a reason for your recent experience, you have two up front possibilities, one you can change easily, the dose, the other is best left alone,,, it wont mend overnight also, it can take weeks, be patient and a good patient,,, cos we have little choice smile smile see the doc.
  • Posted

Hi Carly,  As you have made changes to diet and exercise over the past year and this coincides with your new symptoms I would seriously look at those changes.  I have found that hair loss is largely caused by low ferritin levels.  They may appear to be within the range but if you boost them a bit with some sort of iron you will see the hair growth improve.  I have heard that thyroid patients should not do strenuous exercise (I know I could not) - I believe weight lifting is the best exercise for us.  You may have depleted your iron stores with exercising.

I would recommend looking into the lifestyle changes before fiddling about with medication.

• Posted

Hi Carly, althought the different brands of levo are supposed to contain the same active ingredient, in practice, they do vary (according to my pharmacist). Did you have a change of brand last year? This could make a difference. Keep a note of all your symptoms to provide evidence to your doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.