Newcomer to Pregabalin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear fellow travellers,

Due to post surgical complications to elbow surgery, I have been left with hypersensitivity to my forearm.

During (and post) surgery, I had a major internal bleed.

My surgeon is excellent and is of the opinion that I am certainly the recipient of nerve irritation and potentially nerve damage.

Some months ago, my surgeon prescribed Gabapentin, 300mg three times a day. I followed his advise for about ten days then stopped, perhaps foolishly, after ten days, due to no improvement in my symptoms.

Following on from my consult with the surgeon yesterday, he once again advised a return to Gabapentin.

My research into this drug was not favourable so I arranged for a telephone consult with my GP just now to canvas his opinion.

He is of the opinion that this specific type of medication could alleviate my symptoms, but suggested a medium dose of Pregabalin, given my concerns re Gabapentin.

Can anyone advise if it is wise for me to commence this journey? I did not experience any side effects with Gabapentin or my withdrawal from them.

Good luck to everyone!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

I have used pregabalin for nerve damage due to peripheral neuropathy. It is a fine drug, however, following research and some side effects I am in the course of reducing my dependance on pregabalin. It caused me withdrawal symptons if I missed my daily dose.

I was on a very high dosage 375 mg per day.

• Posted

Thank you Nimium,

A helpful response.

My GP has placed me on an initial dose of 75mg. Twice a day.

I guess I do need help with management of what is, in essence, nerve pain. I just worry about potential side effects.

Thank you and good luck!

• Edited

Hi Nigel,

I am sorry that your suffering nerve irritation due to surgery. I suffer from nerve damage also due to surgeries, my Neuropathic pain is in both of my legs, i have had surgery on both knees. I have been on Gaberpentin in the past and now take Pregabilin. The only side effect i have found is some weight gain, due to that i only take half the dose i am prescribed. I do find it helps with sleep and takes the edge off, thou i am sure i would be better with taking the full dose as regards the pain. Nerve pain can be different for everyone, i find clothes and bed sheets in particular can make things worse. It can feel like sun burn, pins and needles, numbness and at its very worse like ants crawling beneath the skin. I don't always sleep but i find the Pregabilin can help with relaxing the nerves in my legs. Anything is worth a try as what works for one doesn't always work for another.

I hope you find some relief.

Elizabeth

• Posted

Many thanks Elizabeth!

I appreciate the sharing of your experience!

Yes, such is the hyper-sensitivity to my forearm, bed sheets and clothes cause significant irritation.

I could do without the weight gain!

I now have the medication in my possession, but still undecided with regard to proceeding!

Best of luck to you!

• Edited

Hi Nigel,

I would still give Pregabilin a try because not everyone will gain weight. You may have no side effects at all, only way to know is to try. My Consultant said to weigh it up, a little weight gain or pain. My weight is stable if i stay on the lower dose which as i said takes the edge off.

Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.