Newcomer to the group and MTX

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have OA and Enthesitis which is an inflammation of the tendons. It's an autoimmune disease which I used to control with steroid injections. However I was in danger of getting steroid induced diabetes so they won't give me any more. I've tried other drugs but came out in a rash so MXT was prescribed. Took my first dose Tuesday evening. Didn't feel too bad yesterday - bit foggy and tired,but today I have the most monumental headache snd I feel flushed and tired. Terrible nightmares last night so very broken sleep. At least no nausea but that might be waiting in the wings. Is this normal?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Barbara

I have been on Metho since 2012,its a nasty drug.The day after taking I am sluggish&tired.My current weekly dose is 10mg.It was recently reduced because of some side effects,abscess on breast&massive cold sore on face.They have given me additional medication of Sulfasalazine which is ok &appears to be effective for R.A

• Posted

Hi Joyce - I have put this drug off for so long as I loath the idea of filling my body with it.  I have tried the sulphasalazine but came out in a rash so they stopped it right away. The Hydrocoxy one (my daughter has Palindromic Arthritis) she takes but I cant as I have small bursts of psoriasis every so often.  He said that could really bring it out.  Bad enough hobbling everywhere without being covered in scales as well.  I think no matter what Its got to be something to halt the disease.  Ive also banned the grand-kids when  they are ill as they always pass it on and I've been told my immune system will be very low.

• Posted

Hi there, I've actually just come off it after a year, it's a nasty drug but it works for many people. However I'm so ill on it, exhaustion, nausea, my skin wouldn't heal I got a leg ulcer from a mozzie bite because it wouldn't heal. Not to mention the hair being killed off too.

For some people it works just fine but for me on both the injection and the tablets I had the bad side effects. Even with anti nausea and 6 X a week folic acid. If you are finding it difficult and are on just one folic acid a week they will suggest you take it everyday except the day you take the MTX.

I hope it works for you, I have the same as you I have the enthesitis, and RA.

• Posted

Thanks Danni - I hope you get something to suit you.  Your the first person I know of that has Enthesitis.  Even some doctors look at me confused when I mention it?  I have to explain what it is. I was lucky at the time that we had a locum who had a passion for the illness and he spotted it through blood tests etc.  I am also lucky that he referred me to the consultant he had worked under as he is fab.  Explains everything, shows me all the results etc.  Hope things get better for you.
  • Posted

Ps, apparently there's not an edit option in here, the steroid injections also work wonders for me, but the one thing that works we can have all the time! It's very unfair.

• Posted

I love them but cant have anymore.  I wangled the last one out of him because I was going on an all inc holiday and I wanted to drink smile They only last about 3mths if i'm lucky but that feeling when your fingers arent like sausages any more and you can walk properly is fab.

• Posted

I totally agree I did the same thing before my holiday and I was climbing hills and coves and cliffs by the sea, so nice to be able even for a short while!
  • Posted

Hi Barbara! Sometimes as with me the side effects of MTX CAN GET BETTER. Definitely works on skin inflammation! I  had an entire body rash previously. Yes i get headaches too and a mental "fog " . I told my brother about that and he is a chiropractor and he gave me an adjustment and whammo the headache was gone! Maybe try that? FOlic acid on non treatment days are good and helpful as are B12. Also i have found that yoga helps quite a bit. Good luck and hangin there. Really sometimes its a mental thing we have to conquer, but I recognize its hard when you dont feel well. Keep positive and always looking for a solution. Everyone is different. Keep on top of your blood testing especially live function tests to make sure you body is handling the MTX well. Has your doctor spoken with you about Gabapentin? I take it for peripheral neuropathy and it really helps with the nerve pain. Best regards, Sunny

• Posted

Thanks Sunny, I am feeling a lot better today (day 3) and have taken my Folic Acid today. I do already have B12 deficiency which I have 3 monthly injections for.  I am glad I didn't feel sickly or be sick - nothing worse and I am hoping that this will be the case moving on. Just want to feel somewhat normal again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.